ahgu
Firmware Version: 40.21.10.3
Model Name: MI424WR-GEN3I
Hardware Version: I
Serial Number: {edited for privacy}
Physical Connection Type: Ethernet
Broadband Connection Type: Static
Broadband Connection Status: Connected

actiontec NOT handing out correct DNS, it hands out the 192.168.1.1 as the DNS, it cause the IPAD/wireless cannot connect for a while. How to fix this problem?

If I host the DNS server on some other computer, the problem goes away. 

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: actiontec NOT handing out correct DNS
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1

Try logging into the router and changing the wireless channel from Auto to 1, 6 or 11 then check the box to keep the channel during a reset. Scroll to the bottom and apply the changes. See if that helps.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1

Do you have a static IP?

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

Note 192.168.1.1 is the "correct" DNS assuming the actiontec is working correctly.

0 Likes
ahgu

Yes, I have static IP. 

The problem is that wireless connection by IPHONE/IPAD takes several minute to actually start send/receive data after making a valid connection. 

And after idling, you somehow have to wake it up again, try many refreshes. 

If I host the DHCPD on another server where it hands out the actual DNS, no problem. No problem with other brand of wireless routers as well where they hand out the actual DNS addresses. 

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

All routers that do NAT automatically for dns are handing out the default gateway IP.

You have to go into them and change it manually. for it to hand out something different.

I use different dns's in my router.  I'd recommend the same. some easy instructions in case you don't have them

Entering DNS settings in the Verizon MI424WR router to opt...

Telcoguru
Master - Level 1

Try logging into the router and changing the wireless channel from Auto to 1, 6 or 11 then check the box to keep the channel during a reset. Scroll to the bottom and apply the changes. See if that helps.

0 Likes
ahgu

No Help. 

Still the same. The wireless router is really a poor piece of equipment. 

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

That's a shame.  Since it seems like it's wireless specific, I would recommend you download, install and run the Verizon in home agent..  They recently updated it with a very neat and useful wireless connectivity fix section. So you go into it and then it automatically checks for interference, tells you how many interfering devices there are that are affecting you, and then it makes a recommendation on a channel change (fix) and then it makes the change for you after you approve it.

Give it a try and see if it helps.   download it at www.verzon.com/connect

Also are your devices having this problem even when very close to the router or is it happening when you get a good distance away from it?

0 Likes