activate ethernet port for router
dctobin

I have a Gateway G1100 router with coax input. I want to replace it with a router with ethernet input.

There is a wired ethernet port at the same jack where the coax comes out, but it is not live:

At the ONT, there appear to be several twisted pairs of wires (I have already had Verizon switch the ONT from coax to ethernet. The yellow ethernet plug in the picture is the new router plugged into the ONT, but I want to move the router upstairs where the port is located):

Is it possible to activate that ethernet port? How difficult is it? Or should I just call verizon for a house call? I would like to switch to ethernet because I am told that the ONT only delivers internet over coax at a max speed of 100 mbps.

Thanks in advance!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: activate ethernet port for router
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

I'm a bit confused.  Do you have a new router plugged into the yellow Ethernet cable coming from the ONT?  If so, the ONT is already activated for Ethernet WAN and is providing gig speeds to your router.  The lights on the ONT's Ethernet WAN port suggest this is the case.  You should be getting your subscribed speed from your router.

I don't know why you still have a G1100 plugged into coax upstairs.  Most people remove the old router when the get a new one.  Can you explain?

If you want to connect the upstairs Ethernet jack to the ONT's Ethernet WAN, that doesn't have to be  a Verizon job.  They may do it for you, but at a significant charge (truck roll fee + hourly charges + materials.)  Further, if they have to run additional Ethernet cable, they won't fish them inside walls.  Another choice is to hire a contractor to do this for you, they will do better job and may charge less.  Look for a home theater installer or a contractor who understands networking.

You could even do this yourself, it's not hard and at there are lots of online resources to help.  If the cable near the ONT is the other end of the cable in the wall, you can buy an Ethernet jack from a big-box hardware store for about $5.  It even comes with a punch down tool to install the wires.  Just be sure to match the color pattern used on the upstairs jack.  If you look closely, you'll see it has one set of colors above the numbers and another below.  Remove the dust cap and you can figure out which one was used, then duplicate on the other end.  Plug a patch cable between the ONT and the new jack, and viola, Ethernet WAN upstairs!

If the cable near the ONT isn't the same as the one upstairs, you'll need to do a little sleuthing to figure out where it goes.  A ~$20 network tester can help here.  Also, look for a spot in your basement were all the wires come together.  It's likely one of those.

View solution in original post

Re: activate ethernet port for router
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

I'm a bit confused.  Do you have a new router plugged into the yellow Ethernet cable coming from the ONT?  If so, the ONT is already activated for Ethernet WAN and is providing gig speeds to your router.  The lights on the ONT's Ethernet WAN port suggest this is the case.  You should be getting your subscribed speed from your router.

I don't know why you still have a G1100 plugged into coax upstairs.  Most people remove the old router when the get a new one.  Can you explain?

If you want to connect the upstairs Ethernet jack to the ONT's Ethernet WAN, that doesn't have to be  a Verizon job.  They may do it for you, but at a significant charge (truck roll fee + hourly charges + materials.)  Further, if they have to run additional Ethernet cable, they won't fish them inside walls.  Another choice is to hire a contractor to do this for you, they will do better job and may charge less.  Look for a home theater installer or a contractor who understands networking.

You could even do this yourself, it's not hard and at there are lots of online resources to help.  If the cable near the ONT is the other end of the cable in the wall, you can buy an Ethernet jack from a big-box hardware store for about $5.  It even comes with a punch down tool to install the wires.  Just be sure to match the color pattern used on the upstairs jack.  If you look closely, you'll see it has one set of colors above the numbers and another below.  Remove the dust cap and you can figure out which one was used, then duplicate on the other end.  Plug a patch cable between the ONT and the new jack, and viola, Ethernet WAN upstairs!

If the cable near the ONT isn't the same as the one upstairs, you'll need to do a little sleuthing to figure out where it goes.  A ~$20 network tester can help here.  Also, look for a spot in your basement were all the wires come together.  It's likely one of those.