add another ethernet cable to my room
AhungLRC
Enthusiast - Level 1

I already have the Fios router in my living room, and I found that the wifi is weak in  my room (it is on the second floor), So I decide to add another cable to my room from the Ethernet  box, is it possible?

0 Likes
Re: add another ethernet cable to my room
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Not sure what you mean by Ethernet box. Do you mean router or ont?

How is FiOS router connected to ont?

AhungLRC
Enthusiast - Level 1

not the router and ont, I think it is called "Network interface device"( the box that place on outdoor).
because my router and ont are placed on the first floor, it is hard to set up indoor cable connect the router and my laptop, so  I am thinking maybe I can set up an outdoor cable from the Network interface device to my laptop.

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

Network interface box is actually not used in most FIOS setup.   It is used for convential POTS Telephone service.  For FIOS the ONT replaces it.

FOR FIOS the ONT can supply the ethernet connection for One device (normally the Verizon router)  Often the Verizon router is connected only via COAX to the ONT.  All additional Connections are normally made from the router.

The most common exception is for MDU (e.g. appartments) where sometimes VDSL is used from the central locations.

Capricorn1
Community Leader
Community Leader

I agree with tns2. The only way to get another wired Ethernet cable is to run one from one of the LAN ports on the back of the router. The best solution is to get yourself some Ethernet cable and fish it from your router to your upstairs room. You can use drop in wall jacks to make it look nice. That's the best solution. Probably not the easiest unless you have a easy way (e.g., a plastic conduit in the walls) to run the cable.

You could try Ethernet over coax if you have spare coax cable that goes to the upstairs room. You'd want to take care not to interfere with your FIOS TV to any TiVo or set-top boxes (STBs) if you have those, which probably means not using the same cable that goes to those.

Another thing you could try is a pair of Ethernet to powerline converters like these for sale at Amazon. Most people seem to get good results with them. I tried them in my house once and the results were horrible. The room I was trying to get wired was directly above the room that the router was in.

If you want to stick with a wireless approach, look into a wireless network extender. Verizon will rent/sell you one. The one Verizon sells can hook into the Ethernet or coax cable anywhere in the house that gets it close to where the signal is weak. (I assume they use Ethernet over coax in the case of a coax cable.) You can buy one of your own choice. Those, however, just relay the wireless signals they receive. You would position that about half way between your router and your room and it will relay the wireless signals in both directions. The Verizon extender is potentially faster.