am I renting firmware?
overfiend138
Enthusiast - Level 1

i upgraded to gigabit and got the "new" quantum router. the issue is that it is a FIOS-G1100 just like the old router i have, same hardware rev as well. I did a speed test and see I am still getting 150 down but im getting 880 up (this is on the old router). Is there a firmware change that allows the gigabit down? Is that what i am renting for $10 a month? Thanks for the input. 

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: am I renting firmware?
jonjones1
Legend

@overfiend138 wrote:

my main issue here is that i am paying $10 a month for the same router i had before i switched to the gigabit plan which was no charge. I do intend on calling them about the speed, but the 880 down on my existing router makes it evident that i am now being charged for the same routerI have had for over 2 years.

Was the other router yours outright? Or did you pay that $10 rental each month.

your post makes it sound the other router had no monthly rental fee. Where the Quantum that replaced the Quantum does. 

If you own the other Quantum I would return the one you just received. Get a receipt and I would look for a Fios store location near you and return it in person. Have them call the Verizon line and tell them it was physically returned. Make sure they record the serial number of the returned unit so they cannot say it wasn’t received.

View solution in original post

jonjones1
Legend

@overfiend138 wrote:

i upgraded to gigabit and got the "new" quantum router. the issue is that it is a FIOS-G1100 just like the old router i have, same hardware rev as well. I did a speed test and see I am still getting 150 down but im getting 880 up (this is on the old router). Is there a firmware change that allows the gigabit down? Is that what i am renting for $10 a month? Thanks for the input. 

150 down is atrocious. Gigabyte is speeds up to 940/880 the 880 is ok but you need to call 1-800-VERIZON and have them provision your service properly.

if you just upgraded today, then wait 24 hours then turn your router on and off and then test your speeds again. If still lopsided call Verizon .

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

imageAt 5:08 pm

0 Likes
overfiend138
Enthusiast - Level 1

my main issue here is that i am paying $10 a month for the same router i had before i switched to the gigabit plan which was no charge. I do intend on calling them about the speed, but the 880 down on my existing router makes it evident that i am now being charged for the same routerI have had for over 2 years.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@overfiend138 wrote:

Was the other router yours outright? Or did you pay that $10 rental each month.

your post makes it sound the other router had no monthly rental fee. Where the Quantum that replaced the Quantum does. 

If you own the other Quantum I would return the one you just received. Get a receipt and I would look for a Fios store location near you and return it in person. Have them call the Verizon line and tell them it was physically returned. Make sure they record the serial number of the returned unit so they cannot say it wasn’t received.

overfiend138
Enthusiast - Level 1

in my services it didnt show as the quantum router, it was showing the the "N" router (it has since changed so I am not sure exactly what it used to show other than "no charge"). I will call and let them know i dont need it and physically return it to the store 🙂 Thanks for your help!!

0 Likes