Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.

anti virus software

armond_in_nj
Gold Contributor IV
Gold Contributor IV

Re: anti virus software

Message 11 of 13
(1,445 Views)

@Justin wrote:

.... back up your system to an external hard drive, just in case the worst happens!

Excellent point and one that seems to elude even the most experienced users.  I try to have all my computers back up the ENTIRE SYSTEM to a separate physical drive on a regular basis.  Usually "regular basis" means once a day.   Recently I was discussing this with a friend who's quite sophisticated computer-wise, and even he looked at me somewhat quizzically.  Even with this system, I am prepared to learn in extremis that I have not done enough to secure my systems.  Life is complicated.

lilhighway
Bronze Contributor II
Bronze Contributor II

Message 12 of 13
(1,358 Views)

justin,

nothing is gonna get pass the network address translation firewall unless you open a port manually.second of all a software firewall is useless due to the fact you have a nat firewall which is gonna catch all the traffic.adding the software firewall could create a "false postive" alert.

Smith6612
Platinum Contributor III Platinum Contributor III
Platinum Contributor III

Message 13 of 13
(1,344 Views)

@lilhighway wrote:

justin,

nothing is gonna get pass the network address translation firewall unless you open a port manually.second of all a software firewall is useless due to the fact you have a nat firewall which is gonna catch all the traffic.adding the software firewall could create a "false postive" alert.

It's not very difficult to start punching holes through a NAT, in fact it's quite trivial. You still need the extra layer of protection. There's a reason why big companies simply don't rely on NAT and instead rely on Firewall appliances in between the core and the edge network.

How-To Videos

The following videos were produced by users like you!

Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.
Have a spare Fios-G1100?Learn how to bridge it into your network
Get Started

Covid19

Browse Categories
Categories:
Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.
Modal Dialogue Title