bridging Verizon FIOS Quantum Router G1100 to a Motorola SBG6580
Sam20161

as the tital says i am trying to make the Motorola piggy back off of the Quantum Router but i have no clue as to how to even begin to start the process would be appreciated if i could get assistance with this.

0 Likes
Re: bridging Verizon FIOS Quantum Router G1100 to a Motorola SBG6580
JustinG1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Hello, are you wanting to use the Motorola SBG6580 as your router?

The Motorola box is a cable modem, which is mainly used for cable based services such as comcast and time warner. Verizon uses fiber technology, so this product would not be compatable with Verizon equiptment. I also don't think that the Motorola box can be used as a router on its own, I believe it requires a cable connection to act as a router.

Are you looking to use it as a wifi extender or something like that? If you have the Quantum Router, there is no need for another router on your network. 

viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Sam2016 wrote:

as the tital says i am trying to make the Motorola piggy back off of the Quantum Router but i have no clue as to how to even begin to start the process would be appreciated if i could get assistance with this.

Even though the SBG6580 is actually a cable modem combined with a router it would appear from the link below that you can bypass the modem side and use the router side in bridged mode - makes sense as you can do the same thing with most routers to bypass the wan side.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r27015950-TWC-How-to-run-a-Motorola-SBG6580-in-Bridge-mode

JustinG1
Community Leader
Community Leader

@viafax999 wrote:

Even though the SBG6580 is actually a cable modem combined with a router it would appear from the link below that you can bypass the modem side and use the router side in bridged mode - makes sense as you can do the same thing with most routers to bypass the wan side.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r27015950-TWC-How-to-run-a-Motorola-SBG6580-in-Bridge-mode

Only problem I could see is that there is no WAN input. It seems that modem/router combo only has a coax in for WAN. I guess you could use one of the LAN ports to bridge it, but I couldn't find much info on this.

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

That's how bridging is done.

If you use the Wan port, typically the router will create a new subnet which techincally isn't briding.

Use the Lan port and disable DHCP and you get bridge mode.