can connect to router but not internet, please help!
natural320

I was searching, but couldn't find a thread with my symptoms...please redirect me if needed.

however, I just got a brand new dell that is running vista premium, and I put my belkin wireless card that I was using in my old pc into the new one.  found my network, applied to wep key and connected to the router without any problem...

but I can't go online!  I never had a problem before, and I am using the same wireless card.  my signal is excellent, so what might my problem be?  I already tried rebooting the router, but no results.  I had the same problem several months ago with my wife's laptop when we first got FIOS...but for the life of me I can't remember how I fixed it.

any suggestions?  thank you so much in advance

0 Likes
Re: can connect to router but not internet, please help!
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader
What is the brand and model of that router?
0 Likes
DzWR
Contributor - Level 1
Can you even ping out?
0 Likes
cjacobs001
Contributor - Level 3

does your new PC already have wireless built in?  if so, did you turn that off?

Are your working offline in internet explorer ?  Since this is a new PC have you ran the network connection wizard ? What exactly is the error message you get when trying to go online?

0 Likes
kaitou
Enthusiast - Level 2

It sounds like your laptop doesn't have any - or the right - IP configuration.  When you went through the network setup, did you tell it to use DHCP?

Some things to try (note, this is for XP but I'm guessing it hasn't change *too* much for vista):

From a command window, try typing:

ipconfig

It should show you your IP address and a default route (something other than zeros, probably a 192.168.x.x address).

If you don't get a valid IP and route, try  running: ipconfig /renew

See if you can get to the router by pinging the default gateway address (from the ipconfig command). E.g.:

ping 192.168.0.1

If you still have no luck, try resetting the connection via the Network Connections panel:

Start->Control Panel

Double click Network Connections

Check for DHCP:

Right click on the wireless connection and select Properties

Click on Internet Protocol(TCP/IP) and click Properties

Make sure that "Obtain IP address automatically" is selected.

Click OK in both boxes.

Right click on the wireless connection and select Repair

If it still doesn't work, try right clicking on your wireless connection and select Disable, then again and select Enable and then Repair.

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend
0 Likes
VZ_KG
Enthusiast - Level 3
You can also try using the FiOS Connection Wizard. It checks both the PC and router for any issues and fixes any found problems. You can download it from http://www.verizon.com/connect
0 Likes