cannot fax with new fibre optic connection
linhelen

I have an HP OfficeJet 5740. Was just recently converted to FIOS and I can no longer send a fax. Had no problem with former DSL connection. The wall connections are now disabled. The connectivity is in another room and I moved the OfficeJet there and connected it directly to the phone space on the router and it didn't work. The message was that it didn't detect a dial tone. Any suggestions appreciated.

0 Likes
Re: cannot fax with new fibre optic connection
jonjones1
Legend

@linhelen wrote:

I have an HP OfficeJet 5740. Was just recently converted to FIOS and I can no longer send a fax. Had no problem with former DSL connection. The wall connections are now disabled. The connectivity is in another room and I moved the OfficeJet there and connected it directly to the phone space on the router and it didn't work. The message was that it didn't detect a dial tone. Any suggestions appreciated.

Voice over IP phones are very iffy when using faxing.

First off the phone line in must be as it was before. you then take another line out to your telephone. The only difference is you must check the connections as to be in proper connectors. Once a dial tone is available you must make sure that the fax transmit speed is is set at 9600 baud or lower. The higher broadcast transmission are not always able to be used.

Most people today use efax (http://www.efax.com) or another service to send faxes through email. However you can do this with many other programs via a simple scan of your document and send as attachment. (Most all in one printers have a scanning program built in) This way you will not need efax services.

I don't use fios phone service, however my two voip services allow me to fax with no problem. ( I use a MagicJack and a VOIPO) and both work quickly and cheaply.

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

When you converted to FiOS, you keep analog phone service.

phone service is off the ont not your router.

tech should have disconnected phone line and connected it to existing in home wiring.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@CRobGauth wrote:

When you converted to FiOS, you keep analog phone service.

phone service is off the ont not your router.

tech should have disconnected phone line and connected it to existing in home wiring.

https://www.verizon.com/support/residential/phone/homephone/general+support/fios+voice+service/fvs/1...

https://www.verizon.com/support/residential/phone/homephone/general+support/fios+phone/questions+and...

It's voip you can say it's this or it's that. If it walks like a pig, smells like a pig, oinks like a pig it must be a pig. 😀 

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Its not the typical one that people are used to over the internet.

it is VoIP but uses dedicated bandwidth to a Verizon switch.

0 Likes