cant get open nat type for PS3, it use to be but wont go back
gbfraz
Enthusiast - Level 3

im on Fios with the verizon router. I had the DMZ set to an ip with the PS3 also on it. the nat type was open and all was ok. I dont know how long its been this way (guessing not long because I have sucked at COD this week!) but I noticed im not at moderate. I checked the DMZ and the ip was still there. looked at PS3 and it was empty for some reason, so I put the ip back. ive restarted and tried other IPs andit will not go back to open. ive looked at youtube tutorials to be sure that im not missing anything but the vids seem tobe older because I have more options on the router settings than what the vids show, guess I have newer firmware. Any suggestions?

0 Likes
Re: cant get open nat type for PS3, it use to be but wont go back
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader
I am surprised you ever got it as open. But the ps3 does not need to be open. Nat Type 2 is usually what you are aiming to get. I never had trouble getting this on the fios network. UPnP (Universal Plug and Play ) should be all you need to have activate.
0 Likes
gbfraz
Enthusiast - Level 3

actually, Open is what you want. you have a lot better preformance online when dealing with fast paced games like COD. you will really notice a difference. generally you just designate an IP in the DMZ settings of the router, then tell the PS3 to only use that IP, and thats it. just seems now on my end thats no longer the case and cant get it to go 

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

have you tried rebooting your router.    If that did not work, there may be a conflicting setting left over from a upnp session, so you might have to factory reset and then re-do your upnp/dmz or port forwarding rules if any. 

0 Likes
gbfraz
Enthusiast - Level 3

yes I tried resetting but not restoring it completely. dont know anyrhing about upnp other than I see it in PS3 settings and just leave things as automatic. dont know much about pirt forwardung either or what its purpose is. seen some say its necessary while others dont. I never messed with it before when things were working. 

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

Actually no faster.  And of course insecure.  And we all know that SONY was hacked once.

0 Likes