changing from coax to ethernet
spyman1

I have Verizon fios internet only.  I want to do a couple of things.  Have Verizon switch from their cable setup to enthernet .   I want to change from their router to my own router.  And finally, connect an Ethernet cable directly to my smart tv.  I have been researching, but am still confused on what to do.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  I am not very tech wise.  

0 Likes
Re: changing from coax to ethernet
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

First thing to do is physically run the ethernet wiring from the ONT to the router. You will then have to call Verizon to change your connection to ethernet from MoCA. You can also try VZ Direct at dslreports.com to help you.

Second you will have to connect your router in place the Verizon router. You will then connect the ethernet to the WAN port of your router. The TV will will connect to the LAN port. 

0 Likes
Wawuce

I am wanting to do the same thing.  I chatted with Verizon about what routers are compatible with there service. They said they don’t have a list.  They try to push theirs on me. I don’t want to rent theirs anymore. Mine is two models old.  I want to know that if I have it switched from coax to Ethernet on their end; do I just need a WiFi capable router and also will this affect my speeds. I have the 50mbps up and down plan.  Also does anyone know where I can get a list of routers that would work with fios?

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Any router will work. Just make sure whatever you buy doesn’t say modem or DOCSIS. That will be a cable modem and will not work. 

When looking for a router make sure it has dual band wireless AC with gigabit ethernet ports.  

0 Likes
Wawuce

I’m actually looking towards net gear. Any recommendations to a choice?  I have 2 fire sticks, 2 phones, three laptops, and two tablets. 

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

The Nighthawks are very good. There are different models. The more antennas they have will give you better range throughout your house. If your house has a lot of square footage an Orbi mesh system might be better. 

0 Likes