conflicting info. on third party gateway use.
Cyril279
Enthusiast - Level 1

I got rid of cable TV , and good riddance.  I'm thinking of switching back to VZ for INTERNET ONLY.  

Verizon technical chat informed me that for internet only, my Ubee ddw366 gateway would work fine, but then a sales associate insisted that an installation tech would only start service with an Actiontec gateway.

I suppose it's possible that both of those statements are true; the tech won't install service without an Actiontec, but the Ubee will work for internet service.

Does anyone have any experience of firsthand knowlege of using a third-party gateway instead of the Actiontec?

edit: My goal is to avoid the purchase (or rental) of another Gateway.

-Cyril

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: conflicting info. on third party gateway use.
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Verzion only supports their routers now.  Reports from other users have consistently show that Verizon will not complete an installation without a Verizon router.  After the install, you can replace it with whatever router you like.  They will also refuse to support any and all issues when a non-Verizon router is used.  For these reasons, it is helpful to keep a Verizon router around.

You can purchase used routers on eBay.  The best price for a new Verizon router is here:

http://www.verizon.com/fiosaccessories

Note the "free" WPA2 upgrade option, it will get you an older Actiontec for the cost of S&H.

Good Luck.

View solution in original post

gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Verzion only supports their routers now.  Reports from other users have consistently show that Verizon will not complete an installation without a Verizon router.  After the install, you can replace it with whatever router you like.  They will also refuse to support any and all issues when a non-Verizon router is used.  For these reasons, it is helpful to keep a Verizon router around.

You can purchase used routers on eBay.  The best price for a new Verizon router is here:

http://www.verizon.com/fiosaccessories

Note the "free" WPA2 upgrade option, it will get you an older Actiontec for the cost of S&H.

Good Luck.

viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

Make sure you have the ont provisioned for ethernet rather than coax.  Will make switching to your own router far easier as you won't have to contact them to get it done later.

0 Likes
Cyril279
Enthusiast - Level 1

@viafax999 wrote:

Make sure you have the ont provisioned for ethernet rather than coax.  Will make switching to your own router far easier as you won't have to contact them to get it done later.

Do you mean getting the dhcp lease released? If so, then that can be done several ways by the user.

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/15898

Perhaps you mean something else; if so, please elaborate

-Cyril

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

No, he is saying that default for ONT is to have etherent over coax.

The actiontec is designed for that.

But as you are asking for Internet only, no need for coax (as it is also used to feed Internet to STBs).

So have them provision as ethernet to your Actiontec.

Once it is up and running, you can release, pop it off and put your own router on.

0 Likes