connect FIOS router in basement using coax to wired router in ATTIC
tr8881
Enthusiast - Level 2

I write software as a freelancer and have a couple of PCs, a printer, and an external disk storage device on a (wired) LAN in my home office in the attic, very far from the basement, too far for wireless to reach.  I have my own router that these devices plug into with ethernet cables.

Can I connect my router in the attic to the FIOS router in the basement using either the  existing twisted pair phone wiring or the existing coax cable?  

The router in the attic expects a standard ethernet protocol connection.  Does the FIOS router support standard ethernet?

Also, I have a TV in the first floor living room that can be connected to a network via ethernet cable or via HDMI cable to a DVR.  I would like to do this:

-----------------------------------------------------  [my router in attic] --- (LAN)

|

|----------[TV in living room]

|                       |

|------------------[DVR]

|

[   my router in basement       ] --------coax--------- [FIOS ROUTER IN BASEMENT] ----------------------NIC -------------street

That is, FIOS router connects to my router in basement over coax, and three coax cables leave my router in the basement; 1) goes to TV, 2) goes to DVR, and 3) goes to another router up in the attic.

Is that configuration possible?

Thanks

0 Likes
Re: connect FIOS router in basement using coax to wired router in ATTIC
weedeater1
Contributor - Level 3

I wasn't quite sure from what you explained, but I'm going to assume you already have FIOS TV service.  In that case, if you already have coax in the room where your other router is located, you may purchase a MoCa adapter.  This will convert the coax LAN signals to a standard RJ45 ethernet connection.

You could also run a CAT5E cable from your upstairs router to the FIOS router and connect that way.

As to the TVs and DVR, the FIOS STBs use coax.  Once again, a MoCa adapter will get you to Cat5.

Now, if you DON'T have FIOS TV, but you DO have your FIOS router connected to the ONT via coax rather than Ethernet, then pretty much the same thing applies.  You can use MoCa adapters (and perhaps some splitters might also be needed).

There are instructions around here and elsewhere as to how to set up two routers in your home.

tr8881
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for the info.  I don't have FIOS yet, but I do have coax to the attic office and coax to the living room from current broadband provider.

Do I correctly understand how the MoCa adapter fits into the picture, in the diagram below?

|--------------- Attic Router - PC1, PC2, printer, NAS

|

|                                               

........MoCa Adapter.....splitter......TV

|                                                         |

NIC---FIOS Router ----  splitter .....................FIOS DVR--HDMI-

That is, a single MoCa adapter goes on the leg of the splitter that goes to my TV's ethernet port and up to my router in the attic.  My diagram shows a MoCa signal going to the FIOS DVR. Is that correct?  And the FIOS DVR connects via HDMI cable to the TV.

With my current broadband provider, there's no need to install any software on any PC, and the router in the attic simply gets access to the internet from the broadband modem.  I assume the same is true with FIOS? No requirement to install any software on the PC?

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

@tr888 wrote:

With my current broadband provider, there's no need to install any software on any PC, and the router in the attic simply gets access to the internet from the broadband modem.  I assume the same is true with FIOS? No requirement to install any software on the PC?

That is correct for FIOS too...

0 Likes
wraujr1
Contributor - Level 1

Your diagram is very confusing and inconsistent. So lets try this:

In your basement is the Verizon ONT (Optical Network Terminal)

and it is connected to your Verizon Router (probably MI-4242WR).

For this diagram (use Courier Font family when typing):

=====   is a COAX

-------      is a Cat5e Ethernet Cable

####   is an HDMI cable

------------

------- Coax  |  Coax    |      --------------------------  Cat5e    ------------------

| ONT |=======| Splitter |======| Verizon Router (MI424) |-----------| Basement Router|

-------       |          |      |    (Basement)          |           ------------------

|          |      --------------------------

|          |

|          |                                                 ----------

|          |  Coax to Attic  ------------------------- Cat5e |

|          |=================| MOCA Adapter ECB2500C |-------| Switch

|          |                 |  (Attic)              |       | (Attic Router)

|          |                 -------------------------       ----------

|          |

|          |              ---------                           -------

|          |  Coax to TV  |       |   -------- -------- Cat5e |

|          |==============| 1:2   |===| MOCA ECB2500C |-------|   TV

------------              | Split |   |  (Near TV)    |       | 

|       |   -----------------       |

|       |   ----------------- HDMI  |

|       |===| Verizon STB   |#######|

|       |   |  Home DVR     |       |

---------   -----------------       -------

-The ECB2500C MOCA adapter connects to COAX and provides an ethernet connection.

-MOCA is a form of communications on a coax that the router use to talksto set top boxes and allows for ethernet communications.

-There is a difference between a ROUTER and a SWITCH.

-All you need in your attic and basement is a SWITCH to perform wired connections to PC/Printers/etc.

-If what you call a router in your attic is a router (that also contains a switch), you can still use it.. just DON'T use the WAN port.  Make all you ethernet connections to the LAN ports.

Look on Amazon.com for "Actiontec Verizon Coaxial Network Adapter (ECB2500C)"

If you need two MOCA adapters buy the TWIN PACK as a "set" is simply two of the same units and you'll save money.

Do NOT use the TV OUT connection on the MOCA adapter.  Just use two connections: Cable In to COAX and Ethernet jack to Switch or TV.

0 Likes
weedeater1
Contributor - Level 3

This is a good picture.

You need to make sure that the existing cabling is compatable with FIOS, meaning it needs to be RG6.  Older cabling will not support the higher frequencies used by FIOS.

If I understood, the Attic router was to be a wireless router so that you could get better wireless reception upstairs.  This is fine with the picture here, but you should look to find instructions as to how to set yourself up with two routers. One possible solution: set the upstairs wireless up as a wireless Access Point.

If everything upstairs is wired, then a switch rather than a router will work just fine.  And they don't cost much.

0 Likes
tr8881
Enthusiast - Level 2

Actually, what I need is a wired LAN in the attic, with a couple of PCs on it, a printer, and network storage device, and those PCs need internet access.

In the living room (far from the attic -- let's agree that it's too far for  a good strong wifi signal) we need an ethernet cable coming from the FIOS Router's LAN port to be connected to the TV's  ethernet (db45) port, so it can stream Netflix. It's using wifi now but the signal is weak and direct connect should stream much faster.

The cable that runs from the attic to the basement is from Comcast broadband.  Not adequate for FIOS internet?

0 Likes
tr8881
Enthusiast - Level 2

Actually it is more complicated and I was trying to simplify.

There was a time a couple of years ago when my Comcast was not working for three weeks (!) and so I got DSL service and a dual-WAN router.  My PCs, printer, and NAS are directly attached to the dual-WAN router.  At the moment, it's only getting the Comcast signal, but I was planning on sending the FIOS signal to WAN#2.

I may drop Comcast but only after FIOS proves itself to be reliable.

0 Likes
tr8881
Enthusiast - Level 2

I didn't realize one could split the coax downstream of the ONT.

If so, why couldn't I do this:

ATTIC-ROUTER --ethernet-- HCB1000 adapter-------coax------- ONT ----coax----- MoCA FIOS router--ethernet--TV

The TV has a db45 ethernet in jack.

Do I really need a MoCA converter if we don't have FIOS TV?  Wouldn't a coax-to-ethernet adapter do?

0 Likes
weedeater1
Contributor - Level 3

There is only one coax connection on the ONT.

I asked about FIOS TV because if you had it everywhere, then the signals are already there on your existing coax.

If by 'coax-to-ethernet' you mean '2BaseT to 10BaseT', then no. They aren't the same.

I THINK the MoCa signalling is still there without the TV option, but I'm not sure.

0 Likes