connecting a second subnet to the fios router
bmwsandman
Enthusiast - Level 3

I connected a second subnet (10.0.0.0) to my fios router subnet (192.168.1.0) via an ethernet port. Everything seems to be working fine. Here is what i had to do to get everthing working

On the fios router

1. added a static route to the opposite router/subnet

2. added Input 'advanced filters' to allow traffic for each subnet to the other

2, added an output advaned filter; to allow traffic from 192. subnet to the 10. subnet

i was suprised i had to add the advanced filters to allow traffic to the second subnet.

did i do this all correct? or is there any easier way

0 Likes
Re: connecting a second subnet to the fios router
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@bmwsandman wrote:

I connected a second subnet (10.0.0.0) to my fios router subnet (192.168.1.0) via an ethernet port. Everything seems to be working fine. Here is what i had to do to get everthing working

On the fios router

1. added a static route to the opposite router/subnet

2. added Input 'advanced filters' to allow traffic for each subnet to the other

2, added an output advaned filter; to allow traffic from 192. subnet to the 10. subnet

i was suprised i had to add the advanced filters to allow traffic to the second subnet.

did i do this all correct? or is there any easier way

Do you mean you connected a second router to your Fios router?

If so you shouldn't have to do anything, just connect a lan port from th fios router to the wan port of the second router and it will work with no filtering or routing additions.

0 Likes
bmwsandman
Enthusiast - Level 3

@viafax999 wrote:

If so you shouldn't have to do anything, just connect a lan port from th fios router to the wan port of the second router and it will work with no filtering or routing additions.

Yes, I connected a linksys wrt54g (in router mode, not gateway mode) wan port to a lan port on the fios router.

i wanted most of my pcs to connect to the fios router, but i have two servers that i still need to connect to my DSL router (subnet 2)

thus i needed the two subnets to be able to talk back and forth to each other.

note: i was not trying to just put another router between my existing lan and the fios lan

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@bmwsandman wrote:

@viafax999 wrote:

Yes, I connected a linksys wrt54g (in router mode, not gateway mode) wan port to a lan port on the fios router.

i wanted most of my pcs to connect to the fios router, but i have two servers that i still need to connect to my DSL router (subnet 2)

note: i was not trying to just put another router between my existing lan and the fios lan

I have that setup exactly, except that I configured the Linksys as gateway mode as I had no need to talk from subnet 1 to subnet 2 and then there is no need to make any changes.  I I wanted to talk from machines on subnet 1 to machines on subnet 2 I'd just bridge them so eliminating subnet 2 and extending subnet 1 onto the Linksys. 

I assume you have servers on subnet 2 that are Active Directory or the like that aren't great on changing subnets?

I should play around with Router mode to see more of what it does.  When you set up the static route what did you define the settings as?

0 Likes
bmwsandman
Enthusiast - Level 3

@viafax999 wrote:

@bmwsandman wrote:

@viafax999 wrote:

I have that setup exactly, except that I configured the Linksys as gateway mode as I had no need to talk from subnet 1 to subnet 2 and then there is no need to make any changes.  I I wanted to talk from machines on subnet 1 to machines on subnet 2 I'd just bridge them so eliminating subnet 2 and extending subnet 1 onto the Linksys. 

I assume you have servers on subnet 2 that are Active Directory or the like that aren't great on changing subnets?

I should play around with Router mode to see more of what it does.  When you set up the static route what did you define the settings as?

yes i have an AD running on subnet 2. as far as i can tell router mode allows bi-directional traffic between the wan and lan. i did disable the firewall as well just to make sure. also no port forwarding is required on the linksys, but i haven't gotten that all working; that's another story/thread.

the static route on the fios router looks like the following. 10.0.0.0 is subnet 2, and 192.168.1.254 is the wan ip of the linksys router. here is a snap from the config page; if it comes through on this forum

10.0.0.0, 192.168.1.254, 255.255.255.0, 1

how would you use the linksys to bridge the two subnets? to make one continue subnet

also, do you know why I had to add the advanced filters to the fios router. I guess the FW is logically locally between all three ports: the wan, lan and wlan. i was expecting traffic to flow from the lan to wlan without issue.

0 Likes
Arthurlw
Contributor - Level 1

@bmwsandman wrote:
also, do you know why I had to add the advanced filters to the fios router.

No, I don't know, to tell you the truth.  Smiley Tongue  LOL

But since you asked if there was an easier way I will share my experience with using an additional router downstream and configuring it in switch mode.  Basically, if I understand you right, you wanted devices that are connected to the FIOS router to be able to contact the servers (which I assume you can't connect to the FIOS device because you ran out of LAN jacks, right?).

If the above assumptions are correct, what you need is a switch in order to have more places to plug your wired connections.  It may be you are overcomplicating this.  If on your second router you give it a fixed IP (192.168.1.2, e.g.) put it in router mode as already done, and disable DHCP you should be up and running.  But in that case you plug from the LAN on your FIOS router to a LAN jack on the second device.  I did this once with a Netgear device because I just needed a few extra ports and didn't know back then that I could get a switch that would do the job easier and faster.

Here's the hookup based on the Netgear's website FAQ:

http://linksys.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/linksys.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=3733&lid=3726837401B...

Ok, now you have your device configured to allow your other devices to connect to your servers, but you may still be less than optimum in the performance department.  If your additional router is only 10/100 speed, then you will have slow performance when you are doing any file transfers to your servers.  In my case the Linksys eventually quit, and I ended up getting a real switch to take its place.  This model works at 10/100/1000 and I found if I connect all my devices in the network to the switch and the switch alone to one port of my (10/100) Actiontec router then the only time any of my network devices run at the slower 100 speed is when they are getting out on the 'net. 

Here's a link to the device I have. 

http://www.linksysbycisco.com/US/en/products/EG008W

So far it's been pure plug and play.  I haven't had it a year yet, so can't vouch for its longevity at this point.  But it didn't need any configuration whatsoever.  Not even sure it has a reset button in the back.  LOL

Ever since I went to this method my file transfers go at lightning speed from one 'puter to another.  In other words, taking the router(s) out of the mix made networking work really well. 

If you go the additional router route, you may have to hook it up to the FIOS router first, having disconnected all the other devices.  In this way the router should have no problems assigning the static IP you gave it to the second router, then reassigning the device that used to have that 192.168.1.2 IP a different one. 

0 Likes
bmwsandman
Enthusiast - Level 3

Arthurlw

thanks for the response.

my server (and one pc) is on a DSL circuit and thus on a separate subnet from the fios. i put the linksys router between this subnet and the fios subnet so the fios dhcp clients could access the server (and vice versa)

everything is working fine except for the one port forward from the fios router to the pc on the other subnet.

the linksys router seems to be dropping packets or something

this would all be a lot easier if verizon would let us host personal servers; i could dump the dsl circuit and go back to one subnet, but that won't work today.
0 Likes
Arthurlw
Contributor - Level 1

To be honest, I don''t even know what a DSL circuit is, or why you would want one in that situation.  Perhaps you could enlighten us who aren't familiar with the application and why one would want to have it?  Does your circuit insist on being on its own subnet?  Please explain.

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Arthurlw wrote:

If you go the additional router route, you may have to hook it up to the FIOS router first, having disconnected all the other devices.  In this way the router should have no problems assigning the static IP you gave it to the second router, then reassigning the device that used to have that 192.168.1.2 IP a different one. 

I hate to disillusion you but what you stated here is just not true.

You can assign a device a static address but if that address is in the dhcp range for the parent router the the router can just go ahead and assign it anyway as the dhcp server know nothing about your static address - this results in IP address conflict messages on the offending machines and obviously the router does not know who to send the data to.

When assigning ststic addresses you need to ensure by reassigning the dhcp server range that no IP address conflicts can occurand also that you are not using an already assigned static address.

0 Likes
Arthurlw
Contributor - Level 1

@viafax999 wrote:

@Arthurlw wrote:

I hate to disillusion you but what you stated here is just not true.

Boy I sure am disillusioned.  All the time it was sitting there working it was really on the fritz and didn't tell me.  Smiley Surprised

In actual fact, the Actiontec may have been doing its DHCP thing every new-lease time, but it respected the device's internal IP setting and went along with it.  It even showed Static in My Network (IP Address Allocation: Static -- instead of DHCP).  I've done this with a VoIP adapter as well (with a static IP of 192.168.1.4) with no problems whatsoever.

0 Likes