connecting iTouch remote to iTunes on computer
chipsterva
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have spent the last several hours trying to make the Remote function work to connect my iTouch to my iTunes.  Here is the setup:

Router - MI424-WR Rev D, sees both devices in question

Computer - HP a350N Pavilion, connected by cable to the home network

2G iTouch with Remote app installed, on WiFi network established by router

I have disabled the firewall on the computer and attempted to ensured that ports 3689 and 5353 are permitted on the machine.

The iTouch is on the WiFi network and is in otherwise great order (updated, connectes via cable no problem).

On the router, I have set Firewall default setting to Low, set up a port forwarding protocol for Apple Remote that allows traffic through TCP 3689 and UDP 5353.  I have then applied that protocol to the desktop in the Port Forwarding interface to All Broadband Devices.  I have rebooted the router several times after changing things.

I have run several searches online and have tried flushing the remote data in iTunes, ensured that iTunes is set up to share libraries and search for devices.  I have double checked to make sure that the Bonjour service is up and running.

I am at my wits end - any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance!

0 Likes
Re: connecting iTouch remote to iTunes on computer
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

Don't think you can do that.

My touch connects with no issues to itunes, however I use an apple connector cable.  I believe Itunes expects the synching device to be on the machine.  I've never heard of a synch via wireless over a remote device, is that a documented feature somewhere?

viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

Having said that, if you are willing to pay for the option I guess it does exist

http://www.getwifisync.com/

Personally I think I'll stick to my usb cable.  This app doesn't indicate if the wifi connection of the touch can be a remote device but I would assume so as I guess it using tcp to perform the sync interface.

chipsterva
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for replying -

My understanding is that it HAS to be done via the wi-fi.  I have tried duplicating the function via the USB cable, but as advertised, that fails.  The remote app writeup here indicates that you can use the function throughout the house to manage your iTunes - that implies that it is wifi enbled, I am assuming.  It also states there that it is compatible with iPhone, iPod touch and iPad.

I will bang on it some more this evening.

chipsterva
Enthusiast - Level 2

Also - I was re-reading the reply and I missed out on a key piece, my apologies.

I am not trying to synch my iTouch - that does require the USB connection.  What I am trying to configure the remote access. The remote app is supposed to enable use of the iTouch as a wire-free device to control your iTunes software.  Ultimately, this functionality is also required for the app I want to use that started this whole process, Documents to Go. 

Sorry.

viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@chipsterva wrote:

Also - I was re-reading the reply and I missed out on a key piece, my apologies.

I am not trying to synch my iTouch - that does require the USB connection.  What I am trying to configure the remote access. The remote app is supposed to enable use of the iTouch as a wire-free device to control your iTunes software.  Ultimately, this functionality is also required for the app I want to use that started this whole process, Documents to Go. 

Sorry.

Ah, you mean this

http://www.apple.com/itunes/remote/

Had never heard of it, let me download it and try and see what it does, be back later.

viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

Kind of a neat little app, a little quirky.

It connects with no issues but connecting a library is a little odd. 

I installed the app then disconnected the usb cable, at this point the ipod device disappears off the itunes menu.

I selected the remote app then said add a library.  Immediately I selected the remote app the the Ipod device appears on the itune menu showing that wifi is working OK.  The touch pops up a random pass code.  I selected the ipod device on itunes on the computer and it pops up a window saying to enter the displayed passcode which I did, then it said veryfying and then did nothing.  I tried it several times and finally it said remote added OK.  Again selected add library and it said couldn't connect. and to check my computer or router for a firewall.  Checked nothing, did it again and it connected ok.

Can now control itunes from the other side of the house and outside for quite a distance.  I am impressed, maybe I should install an outside speaker system now.

DGCassidy
Enthusiast - Level 1

You might want to try the method I outline in this HOWTO. All my Bonjour services were broken (very poor and unpredictable connections) until I did this. Now they seem fine.