connecting my blu ray player to FiOS router/modem for Netflix streaming
marvinarb
Enthusiast - Level 1

With the proper connections, my Blu ray player can stream films from Netflix.  How do I go about connecting my Blu ray player to the FiOS equipment?  Has Verizon provided me with both a wireless router and modem?  Is the Verizon wireless router already connected to a modem with a LAN cable?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: connecting my blu ray player to FiOS router/modem for Netflix streaming
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

Ooops.  My bad and right you are.  Thanks for catching my senior moment.

Marvinarb....as Hubrisnxs said, connect the Blu-Ray player's Ethernet port to any unused LAN port on your FiOS router using a Cat5/6 patch cable.  That will be infinitely simpler than using wifi and more reliable.

Sorry for misreading your original answer.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

There is no modem with FiOS but the Verizon provided router has both Ethernet and wifi output.

Does your Blu-Ray player have an Ethernet connector on it or do you want to stream NetFlix to it via wifi?  In either case, how far is the FiOS router located from the Blu-Ray player?

0 Likes
marvinarb
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hi Eljefe,

My blu ray player does have an ethernet terminal. The player is about 3 feet from the router.

Your support is much appreciated.

marvin

0 Likes
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

Ok then.

If you haven't changed anything, your router should be broadcasting wifi with WEP encryption.  That's the default setting.  You're going to have to get in to the instructions provided with your Blu-Ray player and follow them on how to set the Blu-Ray player up for a specific wifi connection.

The default WEP encryption key is shown on the router's label.  You'll be asked to enter that in the Blu-Ray's setup.

If you have any problem connecting, let us know the Blu-Ray player's make and model.  Someone here may have the same unit and be able to help with more specifics on setting it up.  Hopefully it'll be pretty straightforward and just connect once you enter the wifi WEP.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

I understood the OP to have said he DOES have an ethernet terminal and it's only three feet away.  If you can, go that route.  you'll be infinetely happier for having done so.    🙂   enjoy the blu ray player, they are really getting fun with these new models and all the extra streaming you can do!

eljefe2
Master - Level 1

Ooops.  My bad and right you are.  Thanks for catching my senior moment.

Marvinarb....as Hubrisnxs said, connect the Blu-Ray player's Ethernet port to any unused LAN port on your FiOS router using a Cat5/6 patch cable.  That will be infinitely simpler than using wifi and more reliable.

Sorry for misreading your original answer.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader
At 3 feet, don't even bother with Wireless. Hook up with Ethernet as using wireless over that short of a distance is just asking for trouble not only for the quality of signal the Blu-Ray player will get, but with how the radio performs that will affect other devices using the wireless.
0 Likes
marvinarb
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thank you all for providing such great support....it is much appreciated.

Hasta,

Marvin

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

@marvinarb wrote:

Thank you all for providing such great support....it is much appreciated.

Hasta,

Marvin

That is great to hear/read, please mark as solved (if it is solved that is).