connecting to router with Windows 8 netbook - wifi works and computer connects to other routers
dcnetbookusr

I am trying to connect an old HP Stream 11 with windows 8 to the FIOS router I have had for several months. The router is working fine, all my other devices old and new connect to it, except this HP netbook.  The HP netbook however connects fine with any other wireless network which I have encountered and have access to, but can't even find my Fios router no matter how close I am to it (it just doesn't show up as an option).  What could the problem be?

This is the router:

https://www.verizon.com/supportresources/content/dam/verizon/support/consumer/documents/home-router-...

The router is set to Legacy mode in the 2.4GHz band and Compatibility mode in the 5GHz band. I believe it is broadcasting in both bands (How do I check that?) 

0 Likes
Re: connecting to router with Windows 8 netbook - wifi works and computer connects to other routers
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

@dcnetbookusr wrote:

I believe it is broadcasting in both bands (How do I check that?) 

#1 After logging into the router go to Wi-Fi -> Basic

#2 Must be set to On.

#3 Also go to WiFi -> Advanced

#4 For the Broadcast, this really should be set to Enable.

#5 For MAC AUTHENTICaTION, that should not be enabled.

#6 For SON, I would recommend that Off and two different SSIDs (the SSIDs set at Wi-Fi Basic)

#7 At Wi-Fi -> Channels. While I do not know about the 5Gghz one, I know for sure about the other one 2.4Ghz. You should use only channel 1, 6 or 11.

0 Likes