constantly need to reset network adaptor
elmomax

I have windows vista and a new sony vaio laptop. I received an actonet router and it was obviously setup by fios technician. Now whenever I conncect wirelessly I find that I have to keep resetting the network adaptor to get the internet working. This is particularly an issue when I access webmail which is a micorsoft application to access my outlook mail remotely, but the problem occurs even when I am accessing yahoo mail. During an hour this can happen once every ten minutes and it is very annoying. How tdo I fix this. When I called Fios they said I needed to reset the router and that was even a longer process and I discovered on my own that resetting the network adaptor works fine but it is happening far too often.

What can I do to fix this. I am loathe to spend an hour or two on the phone with FIOS technical support which is what typcially happens when I call them.

0 Likes
Re: constantly need to reset network adaptor
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader
#1 Please make sure that you, do not use the default SSID (wireless name) in the router.

As need be, change it. This assumes that you did not change it.

#2 Change as need be the wireless channel.
0 Likes
elmomax
thank u.  I did not set the router up - FIOS did so I have not idea as to what they did or how to change it. In terms of the channel, I believe the technician fooled with that when he set it up. I have no idea of how to change settings.  Please advise or should I call technical support and have them walk through this with me. 
0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader
While I do not have this router, I can give a clue in the right direction.

--

#1 In the router, go to Wireless Setup if your router looks like the guide at

http://www.portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Actiontec/MI-424-WR/1st_SMTP_Server.htm

--

#2 In the router, go to Wireless Settings if your router looks like the guide at

http://www.portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Actiontec/MI-424-WRv2/1st_SMTP_Server.htm

0 Likes