Switch Account

constantly need to reset network adaptor

constantly need to reset network adaptor

Contributor elmomax
Contributor
Message 1 of 4
(4,987 Views)

I have windows vista and a new sony vaio laptop. I received an actonet router and it was obviously setup by fios technician. Now whenever I conncect wirelessly I find that I have to keep resetting the network adaptor to get the internet working. This is particularly an issue when I access webmail which is a micorsoft application to access my outlook mail remotely, but the problem occurs even when I am accessing yahoo mail. During an hour this can happen once every ten minutes and it is very annoying. How tdo I fix this. When I called Fios they said I needed to reset the router and that was even a longer process and I discovered on my own that resetting the network adaptor works fine but it is happening far too often.

What can I do to fix this. I am loathe to spend an hour or two on the phone with FIOS technical support which is what typcially happens when I call them.

3 REPLIES 3
Platinum Contributor III Platinum Contributor III
Platinum Contributor III
Message 2 of 4
(4,979 Views)
#1 Please make sure that you, do not use the default SSID (wireless name) in the router.

As need be, change it. This assumes that you did not change it.

#2 Change as need be the wireless channel.

If you are the original poster (OP) and your issue is solved, please remember to click the "Solution?" button so that others can more easily find it. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the "Kudos" button.

Contributor elmomax
Contributor
Message 3 of 4
(4,975 Views)
thank u.  I did not set the router up - FIOS did so I have not idea as to what they did or how to change it. In terms of the channel, I believe the technician fooled with that when he set it up. I have no idea of how to change settings.  Please advise or should I call technical support and have them walk through this with me. 
Platinum Contributor III Platinum Contributor III
Platinum Contributor III
Message 4 of 4
(4,970 Views)
While I do not have this router, I can give a clue in the right direction.

--

#1 In the router, go to Wireless Setup if your router looks like the guide at

http://www.portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Actiontec/MI-424-WR/1st_SMTP_Server.htm

--

#2 In the router, go to Wireless Settings if your router looks like the guide at

http://www.portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Actiontec/MI-424-WRv2/1st_SMTP_Server.htm

If you are the original poster (OP) and your issue is solved, please remember to click the "Solution?" button so that others can more easily find it. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the "Kudos" button.

How-To Videos

The following videos were produced by users like you!

Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.

Browse Categories
Categories:
Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.