d-link dsl-6300v modem
iy508
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have recently had fios installed.  I live in an apartment building and verizon's ONT box is apparently somewhere downstairs.  In my apartment I was set up with a d-link dsl-6300v modem plugged into the telephone socket in the wall and a wireless router plugged into that.  I am wondering about the role of the vdsl modem.  When I had dsl service, verizon supplied a dsl modem plugged into the phone socket and I had my own wireless router that I plugged into their modem.  The modem had an address on the internet, assigned by verizon, and assigned my wireless router an internal ip address.  The router assigned further addresses to computers, tablets, etc. via dhcp.  As far as I can tell, this new modem is more "transparent" than the old one and the new router gets an internet address directly from an external verizon server.

The old modem was evidently accessible from outside via some sort of interface, because at one point verizon contacted me to log into the modem and change its default password.  I am wondering whether the new modem is also capable of being controlled from outside or whether it is just a "dumb" box whose role is to forward the signal from the ONT elsewhere in the building.  From reading other posts on the forum, I gather that not everyone has such a vdsl modem with their fios service.

Can anyone tell me more about what the vdsl modem does?  In particular does it have its own address, separate from that of the router, on either my internal network or the internet at large?

0 Likes
Re: d-link dsl-6300v modem
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

In certain apartment buildings and condos where the landlord or HOA does not give VZ permission to run fiber to each unit, or it's not feasible to run fiber to each unit, VZ installs a centralized MDU-ONT.  FIOS internet is then fed from the centralized MDU-ONT to each unit over existing twisted pair using VDSL.

0 Likes
iy508
Enthusiast - Level 3

But does the vdsl modem have an address in that case?

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@iy508 wrote:

No, it's a modem.

The router gets an ethernet connection via the modem and gets an IP address from Verizon.

In the case of a regular fios setup the ONT has an ethernet port and the fios router connected to that ethernet port obtains it's Ip address.  In your case that ONT ethernet port is replaced by the VDSL twisted pair connection to the modem which has the ethernet port for the fios router to get it's ip address.

iy508
Enthusiast - Level 3

@viafax999 wrote:

@iy508 wrote:

No, it's a modem.

The router gets an ethernet connection via the modem and gets an IP address from Verizon.

In the case of a regular fios setup the ONT has an ethernet port and the fios router connected to that ethernet port obtains it's Ip address.  In your case that ONT ethernet port is replaced by the VDSL twisted pair connection to the modem which has the ethernet port for the fios router to get it's ip address.

Thanks.  So that makes it sound as if this modem can't be logged into and controlled from outside, unlike the old dsl modem.  Is that correct?

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@iy508 wrote:

Thanks.  So that makes it sound as if this modem can't be logged into and controlled from outside, unlike the old dsl modem.  Is that correct?

Not true.  The login is to the router not the modem so it is still accessible from the outside just the same as the router was accessible with the other dsl modem.  The dsl modem will allways provide an ethernet path to the ip address acquired by the gateway device.

However the router firewall will block all unsolicited incoming traffic other than traffic that is allowed through the firewall via specific port forwarding rules.  If you look at your router firewall port forwarding rules you will find some specific ones installed, an non modifiable, by verizon.  They are there in order for the support team to be able to access the router and stbs  and also to allow tv guide and dvr traffic.

0 Likes
iy508
Enthusiast - Level 3

@viafax999 wrote:

@iy508 wrote:

Not true.  The login is to the router not the modem so it is still accessible from the outside just the same as the router was accessible with the other dsl modem.  The dsl modem will allways provide an ethernet path to the ip address acquired by the gateway device.

However the router firewall will block all unsolicited incoming traffic other than traffic that is allowed through the firewall via specific port forwarding rules.  If you look at your router firewall port forwarding rules you will find some specific ones installed, an non modifiable, by verizon.  They are there in order for the support team to be able to access the router and stbs  and also to allow tv guide and dvr traffic.

I understand about verizon getting access to the router (unless I replace it with one of my own).  What I am curious about is access to the modem.  You seem to be saying that the modem is pretty much transparent - communication passes through it between the ONT and the router.  But can either the router or verizon on the other side of the ONT make changes to the software or firmware of the modem to change its behavior?  With the old dsl modem - which I guess was a combination modem and router - they could.

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

My reading on the 6300v is that it is a dumb modem.  I guess it would depend on what your previous modem device was though if it was a combined modem/router then it would have to have a measure of programming in it's firmware which would kind of dictate that there would be a means to upgrade that firmware.

iy508
Enthusiast - Level 3

@viafax999 wrote:

My reading on the 6300v is that it is a dumb modem.  I guess it would depend on what your previous modem device was though if it was a combined modem/router then it would have to have a measure of programming in it's firmware which would kind of dictate that there would be a means to upgrade that firmware.

D-Link offers to download firmware for the 6300v, so it seems logical that there should be some way of getting it into the modem, but I can't find a manual online.  The old modem definitely had a web interface that you could log into from the LAN side at 192.168.1.1 and install/upgrade/reset firmware.  I don't know whether it was possible for verizon to do that from the WAN side.  With this new one, they could presumably have their router access a LAN side interface, if there is one, and who knows about the WAN side.

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@iy508 wrote:
D-Link offers to download firmware for the 6300v, so it seems logical that there should be some way of getting it into the modem, but I can't find a manual online.  The old modem definitely had a web interface that you could log into from the LAN side at 192.168.1.1 and install/upgrade/reset firmware.  I don't know whether it was possible for verizon to do that from the WAN side.  With this new one, they could presumably have their router access a LAN side interface, if there is one, and who knows about the WAN side.

It's interesting that there isn't even a mention of the 6300v on the dlink site and there appears to be zero support anywhere on the internet.  I did find one reference for downloading drivers however I don't see how drivers would work as it's only a modem providing an ethernet connection.

I guess the firmware download that dlink offers is applied from a connected workstation not over the twisted pair connection?

0 Likes