daily internet loss between ONT and router
JoelOB
Enthusiast - Level 2

Okay, almost everyday about 830am, the Fios  internet connection is lost.  All computers in the house lose internet connectivity, the Internet light (the one with the little world symbol next to it) on the verizon router is AMBER (not green).

The Fios router internet light goes from green to amber when this happens.  The MoCA light on the ONT stays green.  I have to hard power down the ONT to get the internet back, which takes several minutes and is **bleep** waste of time and interruption. Why does it do this?  What is going on with Fios net management that the ONT stops sending internet connectivity to the router?

0 Likes
Re: daily internet loss between ONT and router
JoelOB
Enthusiast - Level 2

some more details on my home network so I don't have to play the back-forth 50 questions thing with someone at verizon.

The router:

MI424WR

the router status is (when its working):

20.10.7 Model Name: MI424WR-GEN2 Hardware Version: E Serial Number: {edited for privacy} Physical Connection Type: Coax Broadband Connection Type: DHCP Broadband Connection Status: Connected Broadband IP Address: {edited for privacy} Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0 Broadband Mac Address: {edited for privacy} Default Gateway: 98.118.1.1 DNS Server: 71.243.0.12

The MI424WR wireless signal is turned-OFF.

The verizon router connects to a Netgear WNDR 3700 which runs the home network and provides WiFi signals.

Power cycling the routers does not fix the Amber internet light (loss of internet from the ONT).

Only cycling the power on the ONT fixes this problem once it happens.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

might be the ont, - if you're dropping the internet light, it's possible it's the router, but the way that you're describing it, I would imagine it is the ONT -  you'll definetely need a call to Verizon, go through their normal troubleshooting, and make sure to point out exactly what is happening after they are done having you reboot your router and factory reset (unless you can tell them you already did that, and the agent is smart enough not to make you do it again).

they will either need to reach out to their network technicians, or send a tech to check the ONT,  it might be a bumb data port port, or something, or it might be insufficient moca connectivity going to the router, enough to get a light, but not enough to withstand a hiccup or fluctuation on the Signal to noise ratio.

lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

To add to Hubrisnsx's comment ... are you provisioned Ethernet or MoCA for the WAN connection?

Edit: Never mind, I see in the first post you said MoCA.   So, if the MoCA channel is staying up, then it sounds like it might be something inside the ONT. 

Keep in mind that while some Verizon folks do drop by these forums from time to time, that this is primarily are user to user forum where customers can help one another.