dare Ivan Seidenberg
Nemusgamer
Enthusiast - Level 2

Dare Ivan Siedenberg 

Why are the small towns not getting Fios inter net We have Dsl yes but there speeds are Realy afull like 85% of the time even during peaks hours only time I'm able to even wacth movies is late at night around 2am.  I mean how hard would it too bring fios to our town Union city pa, Watterford pa,  Corry pa, If my friend can hook up a Home service were he lives in run  20 people off of his network how hard would it be to have you guys come too our town. Right now I'm paying $70 dollars and almost $25 in taxes and I'm not even getting close too the speeds you guys offer This been going on for 2 months now.  I'm a very un happy person with your service In I'm wealing to go far as the News if this is not taken care of and let people here my story.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: ok
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

That's what I'm looking for!

Those speeds are just awful. The upload looks fine, the line's in great shape besides the upstream being a bit noisy, and it has room for additional speed if needed. So, if speeds are better for you during the morning and afternoon hours but bad in the evening, we can get this fixed up.

Before I send you off to a contact I have in Verizon, I'd like to see what we can do about the upload to get that running cleaner so that he doesn't complain about it. Since your line is close to the source of the DSL signal, the upload should be running at it's full speed, and the margin should be around 12-15dB in value. I'd like you, when it's possible, to perform the NID Test. See this FAQ for what a NID is: http://www.dslreports.com/faq/1317

The NID serves as a demarcation point between your home's telephone wiring, and the line coming in from Verizon. It serves as the breakpoint between Verizon's responsibility and your responsibility. When you can (and the weather is nicer if it's snowy out), locate your NID and connect the modem to the test jack found inside of the NID's Customer Access section. The NID should be found near your electric meter or if it's inside of your home, by the electrical panel. Only the newer NIDs have test jacks in them, so keep that in mind. Once in the NID's Customer access section, you should see little plastic doors covering up the jacks. Opening these doors will reveal the test jack, and will disconnect your home's wiring while in use. If something is plugged into one of the jacks, that is most likely your house's wiring and disconnecting that plug will allow you to use the test jack until you are done and reconnect the plug.

At the NID, please get the Transceiver Statistics that you posted above. It helps to have a laptop handy, so if you don't own one, see if you have a neighbor who will let you borrow one.

View solution in original post

Re: dare Ivan Seidenberg
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Ivan retired months ago from the company i'm afraid. New CEO is Lowell McAdam.

If your DSL is having issues at night with slow-downs, you need to stop by the DSL forums so we can at least try to get that fixed up. There is no reason the connection should be bombing down at night these days. As far as FiOS is concerned, unless it is available in parts of the towns you mentioned, it won't be arriving anytime soon. There may be some other plans that Verizon has, but it won't be in the immediate future I'm afraid.

Nemusgamer
Enthusiast - Level 2

ya I'm just sick an tired of the service from phone rep and every one not being able to fix the problem in Fios should come too are town

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Well, lets do this then since it's peak hours.

1: Visit http://testmy.net/ and perform both a Download and Upload speed test. Provide the URL to the image result and/or the text-based validation link they give at the end of the test.

2: If you are connected directly to your modem, visit http://192.168.1.1/ and provide to us the modem's Transceiver Statistics. If you have a Westell modem, choose System Monitoring from the top page, then choose Advanced Monitors from the left hand side Navigation, and then choose Transceiver Statistics from the Advanced Monitoring page. Copy/paste the results you see. If you have an ActionTec modem/router, log into the same address, except this time visit the Status page of the modem, and then open the DSL Status section. Copy/paste the contents of that page into a post here.

3: Finally, visit http://www.giganews.com/line_info.html and copy/paste the Traceroutes you see on that page. If the traces do not end in two or three lines of stars, please locate your IP address from the bottom-most line and remove it.

If you need a login for your modem, try:

admin/password

admin/password1

admin/admin

admin/admin1

0 Likes
Nemusgamer
Enthusiast - Level 2

note sure what you mean about the other two but here is the giganews ones

1 gw1-g-vlan201.dca.giganews.com (216.196.98.4) 1 ms 0 ms 0 ms
2 g3-0.bb1.dca.giganews.com (216.196.96.62) 0 ms 0 ms 0 ms
3 xe-3-3-0.er2.iad10.us.above.net (209.66.64.193) 0 ms 0 ms 0 ms
4 above-uu.iad10.us.above.net (64.125.13.174) 0 ms 10 ms 1 ms
5 0.ae1.RES-BB-RTR2.verizon-gni.net (152.63.32.157) 1 ms 0 ms 0 ms
6 as0-0.PITT2-CORE-RTR1.verizon-gni.net (130.81.20.93) 6 ms 6 ms 6 ms
7 A9-0-1718.ERIEPA-DSL-02.verizon-gni.net (130.81.194.21) 23 ms 19 ms 19 ms
8 * * *
9 * * *
10 * * *
Max number of unresponsive hops reached (firewall or filter?)

news-europe.giganews.com

1 vl201.gw1.ams.giganews.com (216.196.110.3) 0 ms 0 ms 0 ms
2 208.174.50.33 (208.174.50.33) 0 ms 0 ms 0 ms
3 esr2-xe-7-1-0.amsterdamamx.savvis.net (204.70.207.206) 0 ms 0 ms 0 ms
4 cr2-tengig-0-5-1-0.frankfurtft3.savvis.net (204.70.207.209) 8 ms 6 ms 6 ms
5 cr1-bundle-pos1.NewYork.savvis.net (204.70.196.137) 101 ms 102 ms 102 ms
6 er2-tengig-2-1.NewYork.savvis.net (204.70.198.14) 101 ms 101 ms 101 ms
7 0.xe-9-2-0.BR2.NYC4.ALTER.NET (204.255.168.89) 94 ms 94 ms 115 ms
8 0.ae2.NY5030-BB-RTR2.verizon-gni.NET (152.63.18.74) 101 ms 101 ms 101 ms
9 as0-0.PITT2-CORE-RTR2.verizon-gni.net (130.81.20.95) 109 ms 109 ms 109 ms
10 A12-0-1717.ERIEPA-DSL-02.verizon-gni.net (130.81.16.123) 122 ms 122 ms 122 ms
11 * * *
12 * * *
13 * * *
Max number of unresponsive hops reached (firewall or filter?)

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

I was asking in number one to perform a speed test, which will show us how fast the line is actually running. Just click on the link I provided and follow the instructions I posted. The site is very straightforward to use. Go to speed test at the top of the site, click Combined Download and Upload, and let both tests complete. When the test is complete, you will see a results page. Just copy and paste the results to us.

In number two, I asked for the line statistics from the modem. Take a look at the modem you have from Verizon, and then click on the link I provided if you are connected directly into the modem, rather than directly into a router that Verizon did not supply. If you're on Wireless, if Verizon provided you with a Gateway (aka, Modem and router combination unit), you will want to also try the link I provided. From there, just follow the instructions I gave on how to navigate to the statistics, and then copy and paste what you see on the Statistics page to us.

Thanks for the traces, though! Not seeing much that stands out in them indicating a problem, which is where I hope number 1 and 2 will help us out.

0 Likes
Nemusgamer
Enthusiast - Level 2

are these Results what your looking for

:.. Combined Test Results ..:::
Download Connection:: 171 Kbps or 0.2 Mbps 
Download Test Size:: 0.3 MB or 307 kB or 314573 bytes
Download Speed:: 21 kB/s
Upload Connection:: 573 Kbps or 0.6 Mbps 
Upload Test Size:: 386 kB or 386 kB or 395280 bytes
Upload Speed:: 72 kB/s
Tested At:: http://TestMy.net version:12.2
Test Time:: 2012-02-13 03:15:42 Local Time
Validation:: http://testmy.net/db/3sk72au.hfGtcsW
User Agent:: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:10.0.1) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/10.0.1 [!]
0 Likes
Nemusgamer
Enthusiast - Level 2

here is the transceiver statistics

Transceiver Revision 3.3.6.10.0.1
Vendor ID Code 4D54
Line Mode ADSL_G.dmt
Data PathINTERLEAVED

Transceiver InformationDown Stream PathUp Stream Path
DSL Speed (Kbits/Sec)3360736
Margin (dB)30.510.0
Line Attenuation (dB)8.94.0
Transmit Power (dBm)7.711.9
0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

That's what I'm looking for!

Those speeds are just awful. The upload looks fine, the line's in great shape besides the upstream being a bit noisy, and it has room for additional speed if needed. So, if speeds are better for you during the morning and afternoon hours but bad in the evening, we can get this fixed up.

Before I send you off to a contact I have in Verizon, I'd like to see what we can do about the upload to get that running cleaner so that he doesn't complain about it. Since your line is close to the source of the DSL signal, the upload should be running at it's full speed, and the margin should be around 12-15dB in value. I'd like you, when it's possible, to perform the NID Test. See this FAQ for what a NID is: http://www.dslreports.com/faq/1317

The NID serves as a demarcation point between your home's telephone wiring, and the line coming in from Verizon. It serves as the breakpoint between Verizon's responsibility and your responsibility. When you can (and the weather is nicer if it's snowy out), locate your NID and connect the modem to the test jack found inside of the NID's Customer Access section. The NID should be found near your electric meter or if it's inside of your home, by the electrical panel. Only the newer NIDs have test jacks in them, so keep that in mind. Once in the NID's Customer access section, you should see little plastic doors covering up the jacks. Opening these doors will reveal the test jack, and will disconnect your home's wiring while in use. If something is plugged into one of the jacks, that is most likely your house's wiring and disconnecting that plug will allow you to use the test jack until you are done and reconnect the plug.

At the NID, please get the Transceiver Statistics that you posted above. It helps to have a laptop handy, so if you don't own one, see if you have a neighbor who will let you borrow one.

Nemusgamer
Enthusiast - Level 2

We are moving here in a few weeks I Can not get too the nid box as its on the Second story out side I think t he other one is for Cable tv and we only have 1 phone jack inside the house that works.  I do not have acces to the Nid box to self test and yes we did get a Snow storm in so I'm wondering if it's to do with the lines Freazing and warming up all the time. My next place I'll have more controll over all the wireing as its going be my house Thanks for the help. Hope we can get a tech out in the mean time to check with out me paying !!!!

0 Likes