dgs-2208 slows fios upload speed
Jim0

I have a Dlink DGS-2208 gigabit switch connected to my Actiontec router. I just upgraded my FIOS speed to 35/35 from 25/15.

If I connect my computer directly into the Actiontec router, I get 35/35 speeds just fine.

But, if I connect the computer to the DGS-2208 and then connect the switch to the router, I get 35 down still, but only 15 up. This is very consistent. If I go through the swich it's always 35/15. If I go straight to the router, it's 35/35.

The DGS-2208 is a gigabit switch. Why is it cuting my upload speed in half to only 15.

I would also note, that when I had 25/15, the switch also worked at 15 up. That is, it worked at full speed. But it can't seem to go over 15 up.

Any suggestions are welcome.

0 Likes
Re: dgs-2208 slows fios upload speed
KlassiK
Enthusiast - Level 3

Seems like a few people are having problems? Would you happen to live in the inland empire? Check out dslreports forums. {please keep your posts courteous}

0 Likes
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

@Jim0 wrote:

I have a Dlink DGS-2208 gigabit switch connected to my Actiontec router. I just upgraded my FIOS speed to 35/35 from 25/15.

If I connect my computer directly into the Actiontec router, I get 35/35 speeds just fine.

But, if I connect the computer to the DGS-2208 and then connect the switch to the router, I get 35 down still, but only 15 up. This is very consistent. If I go through the swich it's always 35/15. If I go straight to the router, it's 35/35.

The DGS-2208 is a gigabit switch. Why is it cuting my upload speed in half to only 15.

I would also note, that when I had 25/15, the switch also worked at 15 up. That is, it worked at full speed. But it can't seem to go over 15 up.

I don't know why you'd be having the problem you're seeing, but just for informational purposes, I have a Linksys EG008W gigabit switch in the same configuation you describe and  I get 43/32 mb/s down/up.

A couple of thoughts:

Do you have another computer on your LAN, connected to the switch and, if so, what kind of throughput to you get between the computers?

Have you tried a different Cat 5e/6  cable between the switch and the router?

And have you looked at your NIC's properties and tried forcing it in to 1000 mb/s full duplex?

prisaz
Legend

@Jim0 wrote:

I have a DGS-2205 Hardware Version A1 connected to my Actiontec MI424-WR Rev. D and have no issues. Yours is 8 port mine is 5. I would check your cables. If you have any CAT5 cables connected to the D-Link and your harware is connecting at 1000, it could be causing issues with the link to the Actiontec. I would say make sure they are all CAT5e at least, or CAT6.

My stats. This is with the Actiontec to the DGS-2205 to Linux firewall proxy server then to my workstation.

Broadband Speed Test

Analysis information:

Checking for Middleboxes . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Done
SendBufferSize set to [261360]
running 10s outbound test (client to server) . . . . . 34.26Mb/s
running 10s inbound test (server to client) . . . . . . 42.91Mb/s

------ Client System Details ------
OS data: Name = Windows Vista, Architecture = x86, Version = 6.0
Java data: Vendor = Sun Microsystems Inc., Version = 1.6.0_22

------ Web100 Detailed Analysis ------
Client Receive Window detected at 65340 bytes.
45 Mbps T3/DS3 link found.
Link set to Full Duplex mode
No network congestion discovered.
Good network cable(s) found
Normal duplex operation found.

Web100 reports the Round trip time = 10.2 msec; the Packet size = 1452 Bytes; and
No packet loss - but packets arrived out-of-order 0.01% of the time
This connection is receiver limited 10.24% of the time.
This connection is sender limited 89.19% of the time.
This connection is network limited 0.57% of the time.

Web100 reports TCP negotiated the optional Performance Settings to:
RFC 2018 Selective Acknowledgment: ON
RFC 896 Nagle Algorithm: ON
RFC 3168 Explicit Congestion Notification: OFF
RFC 1323 Time Stamping: OFF
RFC 1323 Window Scaling: OFF
Information: Network Middlebox is modifying MSS variable
Server IP addresses are preserved End-to-End
Information: Network Address Translation (NAT) box is modifying the Client's IP address

UPDATE. Double checked my connections from the Actiontec to the D-Link and to the Linux box then to my PC. Swapped out one of the cables to CAT5 and ran test again. You have some other issues. It sounds like something may be running half duplex.

running 10s outbound test (client to server) . . . . . 36.16Mb/s
running 10s inbound test (server to client) . . . . . . 42.90Mb/s

0 Likes
Jim0

It appears to be the switch. I substituted an old 10/100 switch SMC 1016DT, and used the same cables and I get 43/37 on that one. Go back to the Dlink and I get 43/14.

The Dlink is unmanaged, so whatever is wrong with it, I suppose I am stuck.

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

@Jim0 wrote:

It appears to be the switch. I substituted an old 10/100 switch SMC 1016DT, and used the same cables and I get 43/37 on that one. Go back to the Dlink and I get 43/14.

The Dlink is unmanaged, so whatever is wrong with it, I suppose I am stuck.

Sorry to hear that. If the gigabit switch firmware is not properly negotiating the switch to switch connection, you may be stuck. If it is working computer to computer, you may want to leave the 10/100 switch between the Actiontec and your gigabit switch, If that does not work. I would say bad gigabit switch or buggy firmware in the D-Link. My 5 port D-Link is working fine. I even moved it around on the Actiontec trying to duplicate your issue.

0 Likes
Jim0

My DGS-2208 is hardware version C1, so I assume that means it's newer than your 2205. The older switch I tested with worked fine as well. So I wonder if maybe the new 2208 is getting too smart with QOS or something and stepping on itself. Unfortunately, since it's unmanaged, there is no way I know of to upgrade firmware or figure out what it's doing. If anyone has any thoughts on that, I'd be interested.

Here are my speedtest reports for direct to Actiontek (upload at 37.5) and through the DGS-2208 (upload at 14.9). I don't see any clues here either, but again, any comments welcome.

>>>Direct to Actiontek

Broadband Speed Test

Analysis information:

running 10s outbound test (client to server) . . . . . 37.51Mb/s
running 10s inbound test (server to client) . . . . . . 43.00Mb/s

OS data: Name = Windows 7, Architecture = x86, Version = 6.1
Java data: Vendor = Sun Microsystems Inc., Version = 1.6.0_23

Client Receive Window detected at 148104 bytes.
2.4 Gbps OC-48 link found.

Web100 reports the Round trip time = 17.34 msec; the Packet size = 1452 Bytes; and
No packet loss - but packets arrived out-of-order 0.16% of the time
This connection is receiver limited 2.92% of the time.
Increasing the the client's receive buffer (144.0 KB) will improve performance
This connection is sender limited 96.2% of the time.
This connection is network limited 0.88% of the time.

RFC 1323 Window Scaling: ON
Information: Network Address Translation (NAT) box is modifying the Client's IP address
Server says [96.231.xxx.xxx] but Client says [192.168.1.3]

>>>Through DGS 2208 switch

Broadband Speed Test

Analysis information:

running 10s outbound test (client to server) . . . . . 14.93Mb/s
running 10s inbound test (server to client) . . . . . . 43.00Mb/s

OS data: Name = Windows 7, Architecture = x86, Version = 6.1
Java data: Vendor = Sun Microsystems Inc., Version = 1.6.0_23

Client Receive Window detected at 146652 bytes.
1 Gbps GigabitEthernet link found.

Web100 reports the Round trip time = 17.4 msec; the Packet size = 1452 Bytes; and
No packet loss - but packets arrived out-of-order 0.01% of the time
This connection is receiver limited 2.36% of the time.
Increasing the the client's receive buffer (143.0 KB) will improve performance
This connection is sender limited 96.96% of the time.
This connection is network limited 0.69% of the time.

RFC 1323 Window Scaling: ON
Server says [96.231.xxx.xxx] but Client says [192.168.1.3]

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

If it is new, I would say return it and tell them it has problems. Try something else. If it was free then, it is what it is. Hey you are out of VHO 4 also. I did a trace on your IP. Let me see how tight your Actiontec is. Hey I would always remove my IP from posts like that. Moderators will if they see your public IP.

Without gigabit switch.

Client Receive Window detected at 148104 bytes.
2.4 Gbps OC-48 link found.

With gigabit switch.

Client Receive Window detected at 146652 bytes.
1 Gbps GigabitEthernet link found.

It seems as though the Gigabit switch may be adding something like plug and pray to the network. It definitely shows a difference during the test. Try turning off plug and play on the Actiontec, if you have not done so. See if that helps.

One more thing. You are out of VHO4 but on GPON. I am an early adopter and still on BPON

Client Receive Window detected at 65340 bytes.
45 Mbps T3/DS3 link found.

0 Likes
Jim0

I tried turning off plug and play and it made no difference.

As it happens, I have two dgs-2800 switches, so I tried swapping them. The both show identical behavior.. slowing down upload speeds to 13, while a direct ethernet connection to the actiontek reliably does 35.

So, it is some problem with dgs-2800 switches, at least this version of them. I've had them awhile, so Dlink won't talk to me without my paying them. I guess I'll have to experiment with other switches and hope that I can return any that don't work.

I'd love to get a clue what's wrong, so any further suggestions are welcome.

0 Likes