disabling SIP ALG
Desperate4Help

I have a VOIP phone plugged into my Verizon router/firewall/gateway and it isn't functioning properly. The VOIP provider engaged an Engineering resource and they identified the issue as SIP ALG which Verizon has enabled, but it needs to be DISABLED. This seems like a fairly simple fix, but nobody can seem to address this. In doing research, Verizon is one of few providers that enables it to begin with.

I've spent HOURS on the phone with Verizon tech support/orders/etc. getting bounced back and forth to no avail. I'm currently on hold again attempting to explain my plight to a new individual who doesn't seem to understand what I need.

I'm literally minutes away from cancelling all of my Verizon services and moving to another provider because I've never had this issue before elsewhere. It's impacting my ability to conduct business and I can't tolerate it. I need SOMEONE who can assist with disabling this feature.

Thank you.

-Bob

0 Likes
Re: disabling SIP ALG
jonjones1
Legend

https://www.verizon.com/about/sites/default/files/fios-qgr-userguide140925.pdf

best place to start is to read the manual. Most VOIP services have tech support to access your router and make the change themselves. Check with yours.

you could also go to google and select sip-alg on Verizon routers to see what pops up.

0 Likes
Desperate4Help

Thanks Jon. I spent more time with the manual that I'd care to. From what I understand via the manual and speaking to Verizon (for a few hours), they don't have the ability to disable this feature on the device. Verizon is telling me that the only solution is to buy a second router and disable it via that device (which doesn't make a ton of sense). They don't have access to disable a feature even though it's somehow been enabled to begin with. To boot, it's atypical that this feature is enabled at all. Most providers have it disabled as a default and/or have the ability to disable if needed. 

My VOIP provider is not able to do anything. They say my ISP has to disable this on the firewall/gateway device they've provided. 

The path of least resistance seems to be moving to a provider that doesn't have this feature enabled or can at least easily assist with disabling as needed. Verizon doesn't seem to be equipped to deal with this, unfortunately..

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

I Don’t know if you are internet only. If you are you can purchase your own router and give the verizon one back. You save $144 a year in rental fees.

now you will incur a charge for the new router. But if you like the speed of fios then you can keep it with this solution.

now barring that, I agree you would best to go to another service.

0 Likes