quick menu

do I really need Quantum router?

do I really need Quantum router?

Contributor yeldarb
Contributor
Message 1 of 2
(404 Views)

I am considering switching back to FIOS, Gigabit internet and Extreme HD TV package.  There is already an ONT in my basement from service a few years ago (Alcatel-Lucent I-211M-H  Nov 2010, has one MOCA, one 10/100/1000 Ethernet)

I want to refuse the Quantum because I have my own router. I also use Tivo with cableCard so I have no need for Verizon set top box or DVR.  I like to maintain as much independence as possible (makes switching easier.)

From what I can discern reading this forum and others, it seems I should not have any issues with Activation or the TV service, I just need to tell remind them to make sure my ONT is set for "Ethernet for data, COAX for TV." Am I missing anything?  Also, when refusing the Quantum, Verizon makes all kinds of excuses and makes me agree to a statement about speeds not being guaranteed.  I know that some neighbors who refused the Quantum are getting only 700mbps or so.  On the other hand, I know some who accepted the Quantum and are still only getting 700mbps (except when testing with Verizon sites/tools where suprise! it's 950mpbs.)  Can anyone confirm/deny, or provide additional technical insights as to why using a 3rd party router that is fully capable of gigabit WAN connection, would not provide that full level with FIOS? 

1 REPLY 1
Silver Contributor III Silver Contributor III
Silver Contributor III
Message 2 of 2
(387 Views)

In your setup you will not need the Quantum router. If you get a gig the ONT ethernet port will be automatically provisioned. Just ask for a cable card and tell them you are using your own router. 

On the speed test sites, not all hosting servers are able accurately test a gig. I think a lot of the complaints you see on here are because of people's equipment and sites they are using. Keep in mind just because the computer has a gig ethernet card doesn't mean you will get a gig speed. Many factors come into play such as RAM, processors, and virus protection. 

How-To Videos

The following videos were produced by users like you!

Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.

My Fios App
Fios TV App
Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.

My Verizon

• Add or Change Plan
  • Suspend My Service
  • Apps

Support

Watch Fios