extremely slow download s
josephadi
Enthusiast - Level 2
Since last night, I have been getting extremely slow download speeds(.18mbs, yes .18mbs!) and 30mbs upload speeds. Called Verizon support and after the usual checks, they told me no one else in may area reported anything like I did and so they are sending me a new router to replaced the one I have since they believe that the router is the problem! After reading about the fios users in Tampa and their problem of slow download, I now have doubts about Verizon support. Any suggestions from the forum members? Thank you. Joe
0 Likes
Re: extremely slow download s
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

The issues out in Tampa seem pretty unrelated to the issue you are seeing. The slow speeds issue seems to roll from area to area every now and again, and is usually nothing more than trouble with some core routing equipment. The issue with Tampa sounds like overloaded equipment rather than problematic equipment.

You can try rebooting your ONT in the meantime while you wait for the new router to arrive. Unplug the ONT from the AC outlet it is connected to, and then disconnect the battery located inside of the ONT's Battery Backup. From there, wait a few minutes and then reconnect the battery, and then restore AC Power to the ONT. Failing that, if the new router arrives and it did not solve your problem (I doubt a new router will honestly, even though the ActionTecs are known to have bad Ethernet switches at times), ask Verizon to check the equipment on their end for a misconfiguration. In the past, asking a rep to "rebuild the circuit" will often times fix the problem.

0 Likes
josephadi
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you for your suggestions. I will try it. I'll let you know the outcome

Joe

0 Likes
josephadi
Enthusiast - Level 2
I received the new router today and connected it. Speed is still like molasses going uphill! Was on phone with verizon support for about an hour. Went thru all the tests as well as remote connection to my computer. The speed test kept crapping out. They will send a technician out Friday afternoon! Wish me luck!
0 Likes
marbleisland

Experiencing same issue since 10/20/2011. Located in Bradenton, FL. Download speed 0.6 Mbps, Upload 35 Mbps. I am paying for 35/35. Not acceptable. Received new router which didn't help any. Have called Verizon 5 times without resolve. Was told it was my computer! After 2 years of no problems all of a sudden all THREE of our computers are at fault??? I think not. Was told by a supervisor that there was nothing that they could do. Not only that, both of our iphones and an ipad are showing a painfully slow internet speed as well. So, it's our equipment that is faulty, not Verizon's. We pay $200+ per month for our combined Verizon services. Clearly no one cares if they lose our business... It has been 4 days now and nothing has been done. No return phone call as promised, no apologies, no explanation except that it there is something wrong with our computers. Laughable. Very sad after being loyal customers for 5+ years.

Our conclusion? Comcast, here we come!

0 Likes
josephadi
Enthusiast - Level 2

After spending hours on the phone and 5 hour with a tech at my home there was no resolution. The tech checked cabling splitters and connected directly to the modem from the ONT outside. Still nothing. We tried with 3 different computers and nothing. Went to tier 3 support and still nothing resolved. The next morning another tech came with a company laptop. He did the usual checks and still no resolution to the problem. He was getting 0 download and  0 upload on his laptop. He finally connected his laptop directly to the ONTO outside and after some time he said that my parameters were all messed up. He had to reset them with the office and after a couple of hours all was back to normal. 35 Mbps up and down!

While the tech was checking out the connection at the ONT, I asked him if it were possible that the reason I had next to nothing download was because Verizon throttled down the speed by mistake with some other account. He just looked at me and didn't really say anything but 2 hours later all was OK! My advise to you is keep calling them and if they don't reply, tell them you will call FCC or any other consumer agency you can think of.

A far as Comcast, to use a popular phrase, Better the Devil you know than the devil you don't know! I hear that comcast is no saint either!

Good luck.

Joe

marbleisland

josephadi - thanks for the update. Well what do you know... download speed was mirculously restored to 42.50 Mpbs this afternoon. This was after I had contacted Verizon for the 6th time to arrange to have a tech come out in a few days. Per your Comcast comment - yes, you are right. Best wishes 🙂

0 Likes
josephadi
Enthusiast - Level 2
Glad to hear that your internet is back to normal.
0 Likes
marbleisland

Oh well... it was nice while it lasted. I guess I spoke too soon. We are back down to 4 Mbps / 2 Mbps this morning. I'm glad we didn't cancel our appointment with the tech (not that they'll be able to fix the problem any time soon).

0 Likes
josephadi
Enthusiast - Level 2
Tell the tech to check the parameters on your ONT. The tech who resolved my problem said the parameters were all off and had to be reset. He used his laptop to connect thru the ONT and work with the office. He stayed over 5 hours Saturday to resolve the problem. He should stay until it is totally resolved! Good luck Joe
0 Likes