fios affected by weather?
iamloco724
Contributor - Level 1
is fios affected by the weather my terminal box is in my garage but we are having a blizzard here in ny right now and im getting horrible speeds on 35/35 in the 11223 area of brooklyn on visual ware its likes 7/4/...on verizon i got 6/38...and on speedtest i got .93/12 all one after another so not sure which is right but its obviously getting affected usually speed is 43/38
Re: fios affected by weather?
cjacobs001
Contributor - Level 3

sure, it can be.   FiOS is a physical medium, just like the regular phone lines

Re: fios affected by weather?
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

The speed is not affected by the weather like DSL may be -- it's fiber, either you have it or you don't.   However, in blizzard conditions, the fiber itself may well be running on phone poles, etc. for part of it's journey to your home and as such those connections could be subject to high winds, etc. and cause intermittent issues.

For speed, it's more likely that everyone is stuck at home due to the weather ... and well, with nothing else to do ... probably surfing the internet just like you.  Networks are built for typical traffic loads, not the extremes (think shopping malls -- normally uncrowded but during Christmas season, no matter where and when you go, you'll hit the crowds).

0 Likes