Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.

fios affected by weather?

iamloco724
Bronze Contributor I
Bronze Contributor I

fios affected by weather?

Message 1 of 3
(4,532 Views)
is fios affected by the weather my terminal box is in my garage but we are having a blizzard here in ny right now and im getting horrible speeds on 35/35 in the 11223 area of brooklyn on visual ware its likes 7/4/...on verizon i got 6/38...and on speedtest i got .93/12 all one after another so not sure which is right but its obviously getting affected usually speed is 43/38
2 REPLIES 2
cjacobs001
Silver Contributor III
Silver Contributor III

Re: fios affected by weather?

Message 2 of 3
(4,491 Views)

sure, it can be.   FiOS is a physical medium, just like the regular phone lines

cjacobs001
lasagna
Gold Contributor VII Gold Contributor VII
Gold Contributor VII

Re: fios affected by weather?

Message 3 of 3
(4,462 Views)

The speed is not affected by the weather like DSL may be -- it's fiber, either you have it or you don't.   However, in blizzard conditions, the fiber itself may well be running on phone poles, etc. for part of it's journey to your home and as such those connections could be subject to high winds, etc. and cause intermittent issues.

For speed, it's more likely that everyone is stuck at home due to the weather ... and well, with nothing else to do ... probably surfing the internet just like you.  Networks are built for typical traffic loads, not the extremes (think shopping malls -- normally uncrowded but during Christmas season, no matter where and when you go, you'll hit the crowds).

How-To Videos

The following videos were produced by users like you!

Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.
Have a spare Fios-G1100?Learn how to bridge it into your network
Get Started

Covid19

Browse Categories
Categories:
Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.
Modal Dialogue Title