fios internet connection crappy. System log info
atantekeier
Enthusiast - Level 3

About once a day my fios will go off and on without warning, and it repeats this about 4-7 times in a span of about 60 min. It is very frusterating, and irritating. If anyone has a fix for this (already checked lines they are fine) or do I have to call verizon and **bleep** at them untill they come and rewire everyting?

here is the system log.

Dec 3 15:09:03 2011System LogWAN DHCPDHCP WAN connection IP:xxxxxxxxxxxxx,DNS:68.238.64.12 68.238.96.12 ,GTW:xxxxxxxxxxxxxx,Subnet:255.255.255.0 (WAN MoCA)
Dec 3 15:09:02 2011System LogWAN CoaxWAN Coax Link Up
Dec 3 15:08:55 2011System LogWAN CoaxWAN Coax Link Down
Dec 3 15:07:27 2011System LogWAN CoaxWAN Coax Link Rate <TX 235Mbps/RX 240Mbps>
Dec 3 15:06:42 2011System LogWAN CoaxWAN Coax Link Up
Dec 3 15:06:34 2011System LogWAN CoaxWAN Coax Link Down
Dec 3 15:06:25 2011System LogWAN CoaxWAN Coax Link Rate <TX 237Mbps/RX 241Mbps>
Dec 3 15:05:40 2011System LogWAN DHCPDHCP WAN connection IP:1xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx,DNS:68.238.64.12 68.238.96.12 ,GTW:xxxxxxxxxxxx,Subnet:255.255.255.0 (WAN MoCA)
Dec 3 15:05:40 2011System LogWAN CoaxWAN Coax Link Up
Dec 3 15:05:25 2011System LogWAN CoaxWAN Coax Link Down
Dec 3 12:23:15 2011System LogWAN DHCP

DHCP WAN connection IPxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx,DNS:68.238.64.12 68.238.96.12 ,GTW:xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx,Subnet:255.255.255.0 (WAN MoCA)
[repeated 3 times, last time on Dec 3 14:23:16 2011]

This is just one instance in about 3 min. Is there a way to fix this? And please dont say check my lines.

0 Likes
Re: fios internet connection crappy. System log info
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

Three things could be causing this:

1. Flaky ONT
  2. Bad coax/connections/splitter
  3. Bad router

If you're sure your connections are good, then you need to get VZ out to check the ONT, although they are likely to ship you a new router before rolling a truck.

jp7111

Did you ever find a solution? I am having the same problems, with the same errors in my log. I have had VZ techs out 3 times and they have no clue what else to do. I am on my 3rd router, they have changed out the ONT twice, and all of the splitters replaced. I have also had a new service line installed from the street to the house.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Give Verizon a call and ask them to check the logs on the ONT. They might be able to see if something is going on with the ONT and replace it if it does seem to be the issue. Your MoCa speeds are fine which suggests that there isn't anything wrong with the cabling. What is an option, too, would be to just try rebooting the ONT manually. Unplugging the ONT from Power and then disconnecting the battery, reconnecting in the opposite order should get any bugs out of it. Just keep in mind, this clears out any log of problems that the ONT might be aware of for Verizon to see.

0 Likes
jp7111

My ONT has been replaced twice, not sure a reboot will solve this. I would assume it was rebooted when they switched them out.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

It's only natural that the ONT would be rebooted during a swap-out. They don't run while in the trucks sitting packed in boxes. 🙂

Did you check with Verizon to see if they can see if the deal is with the signal or the PON Card/Splitter back in the CO-portion of things? Two ONTs and 3 routers later, the equipment in the home I'm sure has already been ruled out enough (except for the Coax, perhaps) so it would point to something further upstream.

0 Likes
atantekeier
Enthusiast - Level 3

It still has the same issues, someimes even more frequent than before, 

I did do an ONT reboot and it didnt seam to fix the problem. I didnt want to call verizon because I have gotten nothing but a run around with them before, and telling me to unplug my router for 30 seconds...

Thanks for the suggestions.

0 Likes
MrsMark
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have been having this issue for months and when I call tech support they make me feel like I'm lying. My internet, phone, tv all stop. Seems to happen on a daily basis and most often later in the evening. I have called and have received 2 new routers, the wires and connectors have been changed but still no resolve. I have been sticking it out because before this issue, I loved Fios, but now it seems they are dropping the ball and always willing to blame my equipment (computer, wireless connection).  What does my wireless computer have to do with freezing TV and complete phone outage?  I am trying to hang in there but I pay for 35/35 speed (internet) and wireless I am getting 17/15 and hardwired I have received 21/17 and  am sorry but this should be unacceptable to a company who claims they provide Fios Speed.

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

@MrsMark wrote:

I have been having this issue for months and when I call tech support they make me feel like I'm lying. My internet, phone, tv all stop. Seems to happen on a daily basis and most often later in the evening. I have called and have received 2 new routers, the wires and connectors have been changed but still no resolve. I have been sticking it out because before this issue, I loved Fios, but now it seems they are dropping the ball and always willing to blame my equipment (computer, wireless connection).  What does my wireless computer have to do with freezing TV and complete phone outage?  I am trying to hang in there but I pay for 35/35 speed (internet) and wireless I am getting 17/15 and hardwired I have received 21/17 and  am sorry but this should be unacceptable to a company who claims they provide Fios Speed.

Perhaps, that has something to deal with the NAT table size??

I point to http://www.dslreports.com/faq/16233

0 Likes
MrsMark
Enthusiast - Level 3

How would the Nat Table affect speed or service in this instance?  If I had an issue with an particular device/subnet , I would consider looking into this.  But if the IP doesn't get resolved their would not be any outside communication. 

0 Likes