fios quantum router and an access point only 100MB/Full Connection
Howie411
Enthusiast - Level 2

So I have fios quantum router and a new netgear R7800 Router (which I have set as an AP).  With a Cat5e cable going from the Router LAN port to to the WAN port of the Access Point I only am getting a status of 100M/Full.   I contacted Netgear and they had me try to connect my PC directly to the WAN port of the Netgear access point and see what it shows.  

Doing that I get a 1000M/Full.

So my question is:

Is the Fios Router slowing the connection from 1000M to 100M?  Or is something else going on?  Obviously the ports on the Fios Router are Gigabit, so not sure why its not establishing a full connection.

Thanks,

*update*   On the Ethernet Port Config. page for LAN Port 1 it does show 1000 Full-Duplex.  it was on auto, but I just tried to change it to 1000 Full-Duplex.    Not difference.  So it seems both devices don't want to connect at 1000.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: fios quantum router and an access point only 100MB/Full Connection
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

100M would suggest a bad cable if both ends are Gigabit. I'd check the terminations, and maybe run the jack through a cable tester if you have one handy. More than likely it's a bad termination.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Howie411
Enthusiast - Level 2

Ok another update.  So I ran a cable from the living room to the basement and I was getting 1000mb.  So maybe the jack in my living room is bad?  But if that the case wouldn't it not work at all rather then downgrading it to 100mb.  

I also tested connecting it to the jack in my master bedroom and got the 1000mb connection.  So its definitely not all the jacks.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

100M would suggest a bad cable if both ends are Gigabit. I'd check the terminations, and maybe run the jack through a cable tester if you have one handy. More than likely it's a bad termination.

0 Likes
Howie411
Enthusiast - Level 2

I think that is what is going on.  Every other jack in my house seems to be connecting at 1000M, so maybe whoever terminated this one did it incorrectly.  For now I just have the AP in the basement. But at least I know my hardware is good.

Thanks,

0 Likes
GFVALVO
Enthusiast - Level 3

1000BT needs all four twisted pairs in the CAT5 to be connected. 10/100BT only needs two pairs. If a wire is disconnected you’ll either get 10/100 or nothing at all, depending on which wire. I had this problem for one jack in my house. It turned out that a wire was broken at the insulation-displacement connection on the back of the jack. Easy fix.

0 Likes