fios second extender
jb371011
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi, I just purchased a second E3200 for my G3100. Router is in basement, and extender is on first floor. This new extender is for second floor. I hoped to use wifi to connect the new extender. I first tried to connect it to the network by plugging into the router - seemed fine got solid white light. But when I took it to the second floor and plugged it in, I got blinking yellow meaning too far from router. I reset the new 3200 and plugged it into the existing extender until I got white light. Then I moved the new extender upstairs - but I still get blinking yellow.

So, can I daisy off the first extender? If so how? Or should I try to run an ethernet wire from the first extender to the second? I can do this, but it involves going through several wall, so I don't want to do it unless it will work!

TIA.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: fios second extender
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

You can connect multiple E3200's to the G3100. Your account limit is 5, and the actual technical limit is 15. E3200 can be uplinked to G3100 using Ethernet, Coax, or WiFi. E3200 cannot link to other E3200 using WiFi, but can do so through daisy-chaining Ethernet.

Your best bet would be find a wired connect for E3200, coax or Ethernet is fine. 

View solution in original post

dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

In situations where distance or other factors prevent a 3200 from communicating with a 3100 via WI-FI, ethernet or coaxial cable can be used.

jb371011
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks, I can't use wifi or a cable to connect this new extender because it is two floors up and opposite side of house. I want to connect the new extender to the existing extender. Can I do this via wifi or cable? Or can I only connect an extender to a router?

0 Likes
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

I don't think 3200s can be daisy-chained via WIFI. That might be doable via ethernet. Forum leads might be able to provide a more precise answer.

On the second floor, just for clarification purposes, there are no existing cables that run down to the basement available to connect the extender to?

Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

You can connect multiple E3200's to the G3100. Your account limit is 5, and the actual technical limit is 15. E3200 can be uplinked to G3100 using Ethernet, Coax, or WiFi. E3200 cannot link to other E3200 using WiFi, but can do so through daisy-chaining Ethernet.

Your best bet would be find a wired connect for E3200, coax or Ethernet is fine. 

jb371011
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you. Unfortunately no cable outlet nearby, so I will connect to the other extender via ethernet.