Re: ... wifi registration software - Punt
armond_in_nj1
Master - Level 1

@merk wrote:
...  Itunes is not the same since the software itself does something beyond just registering an account ... verizon's process is  ... They provide the hotspot service at no extra charge which is nice ...

For goodness sakes, use the software or don't use the software.  After all is said and done, it's your choice and you are probably capable of making that choice.  You asked what the software does and how it does it, and I provided the best information I have available to answer your question.  There's little left that I can add.

Good luck and good "wi-fi-ing."

0 Likes
Re: ... wifi registration software - What It Does
logan81
Contributor - Level 3

The main reason for the software download Merk is to release you from the walled garden. Before you register and accept terms of service verizon does not allow you onto the world wide web, this is called "walled garden". Every time you try to go to a website it will direct you to the verizon activation site because they want you to accept terms of service (saying you will be good while online). Once you do that the main reason for down loading software is just to run executables that will release you and your router from the walled garden. If a customer does not download the software they will be stuck in the walled garden even if they have accepted terms of service.

merk3
Enthusiast - Level 3

@logan8 wrote:

The main reason for the software download Merk is to release you from the walled garden. Before you register and accept terms of service verizon does not allow you onto the world wide web, this is called "walled garden". Every time you try to go to a website it will direct you to the verizon activation site because they want you to accept terms of service (saying you will be good while online). Once you do that the main reason for down loading software is just to run executables that will release you and your router from the walled garden. If a customer does not download the software they will be stuck in the walled garden even if they have accepted terms of service.

I understand the concept of the walled garden and don't have any problems with that. That's how many wifi hotspots work. The thing that's odd to me is that they are using software to do this. Most other wifi hotspots i've used just redirect you to a webpage where you type in your login information and then you are allowed onto the net. This just seems like a strange way for verizon to do this. Not to mention it's much less flexiable since anyone with a non-windows device seems to be out of luck, or anyone with a windows device but doesn't have sufficient permissions to install software.

Anyhow, I don't really have any more questions about this. I'll skip using this since i'd rather just use something that doesn't require me to install something on my PC.

Thanks

0 Likes
logan81
Contributor - Level 3

I think we are mis-understanding each other. When you get verizon in home service (not talking about hot spots right now) you are in a walled garden in your home. This is when you have to download the software to break out of the walled garden, it will also ask you at that time if you want to download the wifi registration software, but that is actually optional. It just attaches itself to the initial fios activation software.

so just to recap, activation software - mandatory one time download then it goes away

wifi registartion software - optional but I think it stays so you can connect to hot spots when you are out and about.

It is not like McDonalds wifi where it is just open to everyone and you just have to accept terms to get in. This is actually a benefit to you because it means less people will be on the wifi since only verizon fios customers can connect.

merk3
Enthusiast - Level 3

@logan8 wrote:

I think we are mis-understanding each other. When you get verizon in home service (not talking about hot spots right now) you are in a walled garden in your home. This is when you have to download the software to break out of the walled garden, it will also ask you at that time if you want to download the wifi registration software, but that is actually optional. It just attaches itself to the initial fios activation software.

so just to recap, activation software - mandatory one time download then it goes away

wifi registartion software - optional but I think it stays so you can connect to hot spots when you are out and about.

It is not like McDonalds wifi where it is just open to everyone and you just have to accept terms to get in. This is actually a benefit to you because it means less people will be on the wifi since only verizon fios customers can connect.

Are you talking about the FiOS service? Because I didn't install any software to get FioS up and running.  All I did to get the fios service runing was fill out some registration form on a webpage it redirected me to. Said it was activating the service and after a minute or two I was up and running. Maybe they changed their activation process?

0 Likes
Re: free wifi registration software
logan81
Contributor - Level 3
Ok so if you didn't download anything how did you get the WiFi registration software?
0 Likes
merk3
Enthusiast - Level 3

I found that after FiOS was up and running - i was clicking around on the verizon site and found the section about the free wifi. I did download the registration software, but that was after FiOS was already up and running - i was able to get online. And i did not actually run the registration software.

0 Likes
logan81
Contributor - Level 3

@merk wrote:

I found that after FiOS was up and running - i was clicking around on the verizon site and found the section about the free wifi. I did download the registration software, but that was after FiOS was already up and running - i was able to get online. And i did not actually run the registration software.

OK... is there anything else I can help you with?

0 Likes
merk3
Enthusiast - Level 3

nope, i'm good thanks 🙂 just wanted to know what that software was for and now i know

0 Likes