g1100 Router wifi speeds are capped at 150
jamkoo1
Enthusiast - Level 1

I just upgraded my service to the 1gb speed. Ethernet is showing around 900s but my wifi is showing 100-120. What's the deal? I rebooted my router. My PC is next to my router for testing. I tested on multiple devices and they all show the same wifi speed. 

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: g1100 Router wifi speeds are capped at 150
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Even if your device is connected to the 5G? A better router could possibly help, but with wifi there’s no guarantee. Wifi is susceptible to lots of interference from construction materials and channel interference from other people’s routers. For example in an apartment setting the 2.4 GHz band sometimes isn’t good because there are so many router in close proximity interfering with each other so it’s better to connect to 5GHz in those cases.

The difference between FiOS-XXXXX(2.4 GHz) and FiOS-XXXXX-5G (5 GHz) is speed and range. The 5G band will give you high speeds but the range from the router isn’t very far. The 2.4 give better range throughout the house but speeds are much lower. Also the whole point of a gigabit connection is for bandwidth sharing. Not for any one device to get a gig.
If four people are streaming 4k at once that is only 100 mbps. Honestly if your wifi devices are getting 100 mbps + that is fine.

View solution in original post

Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

You devices are probably connected to 2.4 GHz. You have to login to the router and turn off SON

Go to Wireless Settings/Advanced Security Settings/ Other Advanced Wireless Options/Self-Organizing Network Enabled and set to Off

Then reconnect your devices to the FiOS-XXXXX-5G wifi. Also keep in mind only 25 mbps is required for 4K streaming and online gaming. If the device is getting 120 mbps that is plenty. 

jamkoo1
Enthusiast - Level 1

It is set to off. It's ridiculously low compares to what I should get from Ethernet. Do I just need to get a better router? 

Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Even if your device is connected to the 5G? A better router could possibly help, but with wifi there’s no guarantee. Wifi is susceptible to lots of interference from construction materials and channel interference from other people’s routers. For example in an apartment setting the 2.4 GHz band sometimes isn’t good because there are so many router in close proximity interfering with each other so it’s better to connect to 5GHz in those cases.

The difference between FiOS-XXXXX(2.4 GHz) and FiOS-XXXXX-5G (5 GHz) is speed and range. The 5G band will give you high speeds but the range from the router isn’t very far. The 2.4 give better range throughout the house but speeds are much lower. Also the whole point of a gigabit connection is for bandwidth sharing. Not for any one device to get a gig.
If four people are streaming 4k at once that is only 100 mbps. Honestly if your wifi devices are getting 100 mbps + that is fine.

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

What Wi-Fi adapter are you using? Wireless on the G1100 on 5Ghz is expected to cap around 550Mbps (an average) for most 2x2 802.11ac Wi-Fi adapters.

LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

This thread will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

0 Likes