Re: g3100 router dropping out
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Yes, it's possible. To swap between routers, perform a "DHCP Release" on your WAN connection IP before you try to hook up the other router. Otherwise it won't get an IP address. Do the same thing when swapping back to your G3100.

So the disappearing channel issue happens when you have both the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz networks named the same (as it would be with SON) or, if the router is on a DFS Channel and your device has no support for DFS channels. To restore 5Ghz visibility, use a channel between 36-48, or 149-161. If you see channel 165 as an option, avoid using it unless your device supports that channel, and because 165 is limited to 20Mhz operation not 80Mhz.

TheBeardNinja
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hello guys,

So I was able to contact Verizon today.

The rep on the phone told me that they will 100% need to send someone out for this issue. Just wonderful.

This will be interesting. Verizon is doing something where the technician will not enter a home due to COVID. They claim they will do everything they possibly can outside of the client's home and if any work were to be done inside the home, then the technician will thoroughly instruct you on what to do. The rep on the phone told me that they will look at the box across the street from me (which I don't know what that will do but okay). 

So now I am looking at a possible $99 charge for this technician if they need to go "further" in their diagnostics I was told. Which I am not paying. After calming myself, I asked this fast-talking rep as to why, after 13 years of having service, that the internet decides to be difficult and the answer was "because the wiring is so old that the new technology can't handle it". So if that was the case, then why was all of this new technology sent to us (FIOS TV One and G3100 Router) if the existing wiring couldn't handle it? Unreal man. 

As far as the charge for the technician goes, I can decline any "paid" work that the tech will want to charge for. It is really up to the technician as to what they want to charge for. Have to wait until April 19th to have this person come out. 

Will come back with updates. Stay strong and safe folks.

0 Likes
VerizonGoner

So the g3100 keeps dropping.

worse than my quantum one

is it normal for the back lights of the router to go dark and only front round on?

0 Likes
VerizonGoner

Btw I also had the tech come out just for outside since they can’t come in but it did not help.  All he did was give me a cat6 cable to test.  I have the gig plan but the best speed on wired is about 400 and usually only in the 300

0 Likes
polsciprof
Enthusiast - Level 2

We got a replacement router and while the problems are fewer, we are still having drop outs and needing to reboot and now one of the cable boxes is also dropping out.  Don't know how that is connected to router, but since you have to use a Verizon router if you have the boxes, there must be a relationship.

0 Likes
usdanrmm

same problem. i have the G3100 and it drops out randomly. it seems to impact older devices more (iPad Air 2 in particular). May Surface laptop seems better. 

0 Likes
Issues with G3100 Router and G3200 extender
Mazen1

I have the same drop out issue that people are referring to.  At first, I was under the impression that my extender was the main issue.   After replacing the extender, the issue remained.  Anyone figured out how to fix this issue?  Thanks! 

0 Likes
Re: Issues with G3100 Router and G3200 extender
Maryeo
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have had 3 of the G3100 routers, a 4th is on the way. The first one had frequent short freezes. The second one worked well but Verizon sent me a third that I am buying and had me return the second. This third router is a disaster with total loss of connections multiple times/day. Reset it, unplug it, still is flakey. A 4th is on the way. One of the chats involved the tech resetting the ONT remotely since there were errors. Right now if I run the troubleshooting steps I get an error that my profile is not available. The way this is going the ONT will be replaced next. Fortunately it is outside the house.

0 Likes
raikage
Enthusiast - Level 1

I also have the g3100 but have a background in IT (Web App Dev). This router seems to easily be disrupted/susceptible by other strong wifi signal close by. The first 2 months I had it, I had no problems. Then in March my signal kept dropping. Usually, after I restart it (the known term of "Have you tried turning it on and off again?" applied to it). And only happened once a month at most).

But it wasn't until last week that restarting it wasn't getting my signal fixed. Through a wifi signal monitor (you can download an app such as "Wifi Analyzer" from Google Play on android), you can check which 2.4 and 5Ghz channel your wifi is using. Make sure the Wifi channel you're using doesn't have another connection that has stronger than -80dB or the dropping connection/slow connection will keep happening.

LGM4U2

I am also having this problem of dropping.  I am on my second G3200 extender and my second G3100 router.  Both extenders the MOCA just drops.  The first router went red system failure.  I called Verizon again today and they have to send a technician out on Tuesday.  I am ready to go back to the old G1100 router and Orbi's.  This is ridiculous.  I do not think they fully tested the equipment nor the software.  I havew been on the phone for hours over the last several weeks.  All the tech support folks told me they were told it's just plug and play and there should be nothing that needs modification.   

0 Likes