Re: g3100 router dropping out
FussyWifi
Enthusiast - Level 1

Just wanted to add that I just got the G3100 and new Fios One and have been having nothing but issues with the router, esp the 2.4ghz network constantly losing connection to some, and sometimes all, devices on that network.  Rebooting the router helps for less than a day, then it starts again.  Disabled both SON and DFS, but didnt do much. Also have an issue with the router retaining those settings.  See no improvement in 2.4, but 5ghz is considerably faster on wifi.  LAN speed is still hot, as I had between 1.5-2Gb as a normal speed.  No complaints about that! But, all my home automation devices rely on the 2.4 band, so the bugginess is killing that.  Anyone try just enabling mac address filtering? If so, did it help?

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

This is kind of a known issue. It may have to do with the router's firmware. G3100 is relatively new, so Verizon will make revisions to resolve the problems, then what's deal right now? Maybe buy a WCB3000N (~$27), and give it a different SSID and all of your home automation can connect to it. WCB3000N is capped at 175Mbps, so it is more than enough for home automation.

If at all possible, I would suggest you to hard wire everything ethernet to preserve the gigabit speed and stability. You might need a 48-port switch though.

Vinny111

Hello, was curious to know if you ever received an answer to this or if its still going on.

I am having the same issue.  Just the front round light is on, everything on the back shuts off.  Never seen that before.  If I unplug any cable and plug it back in, all the lights come back on, then go off after about an hour or so.

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Vinny11 wrote:

Hello, was curious to know if you ever received an answer to this or if its still going on.

I am having the same issue.  Just the front round light is on, everything on the back shuts off.  Never seen that before.  If I unplug any cable and plug it back in, all the lights come back on, then go off after about an hour or so.

Are you posting for the dropout or LED lights? LED lights are designed in that way I believe.

The dropout might due to router RAM overflow, or routing table overflow?

Do you have any other network devices?

Vinny111

I have never seen a router where all the lights go off while traffic is being passed.  I am specifically referring to the back of the router where the wan & Lan ports are.  Usually if a cable is connected to a live device its a green light, then a flashing green when traffic is passed through.  The WAN light should always be on.  Was not sure if this is by design to turn the lights off. No way to see if traffic is being passed through visually with the lights off.

0 Likes
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

The status LEDS on the rear of the G3100 and the E3200 will turn off after a certain amount of time. That is normal behavior.

For me, if I see the rear status LEDS illuminated,  I'll know that there was some sort of update or reset activity with the router, an extender or some other hardwire connected device.

0 Likes
Vinman1

Yes you should have a coax and ethernet going into router i have 1100 and never drops.

0 Likes
JKO2

I just got the G3100 router and I'm having problems with one Mac (the newest one). The older Mac is getting great speed. The new one drops both Wifi and Broadband signals randomly, Pulling the Ethernet cable out of my Mac sometimes restores the wifi connection. It seems as if some people are seeing more problems/different ones with macs? I have Fios TV as well--but have no problems with that. 

I'm just seriously irritated that I bought the new hardware and am getting worse speed. Any suggestions?

0 Likes
RainbowRobb
Enthusiast - Level 1

We are having the same problem. Wifi will drop for all devices until the router is rebooted

Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

I am sorry for your inconvenience. To better assist you, could you elaborate the issue?

Do you have Self-Organizing Network (SON) turned on? If so, turn it off because it causes problem if you have legacy wireless devices.

When the WiFi has issues, are the Ethernet connections still functional?