geo location poker
tomasz2013

hi

verizon gave me a good deal so i switched from optimum.  trouble is i use geo location software on my pc to play poker online.  never had a problem but i do now after switching to verizon.  the original modem/router would not let me create a guest account, (the poker sites need 2 wifi signals to detect i am in nj).  so i ordered the quantum modem/router ($4 more a month) and created my guest account, no joy.  called verizon they said it has nothing to do with them.  asked them to change my ip address no good.  changed firewall setting in router no good.  the poker sites said a lot of verizon customers have issues with geo location when they didnt before with other cable companies.  i was mad cause i had to pay $4 more for the option to have 2 wifi signals.  i am furious that i can not fix this, verizon claims its not them, how are 4 poker sites saying its a verizon problem but verizon says its not???  nothing changed on my pc accept for the router/modem.  i'm sure i'm not the only one with this problem, and wish someone who had it fixed could guide me.  right now the verizon deal is not lookin too good.  i am losing money (by not being able to play poker online).  7 days left if this does not get fixed back to optimum for me.

0 Likes
Re: geo location poker
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1
  • Make sure you are using an up to date browser.
  • Make sure you have not set your browser's privacy settings to automatically reject all geolocation requests
  • Make sure you are not overlooking your browser's geolocation prompt; it may appear near the top of the browser, just underneath the address bar, or it may appear near the bottom of the browser
  • Make sure JavaScript is not disabled in your browser
  • Make sure you are not using a proxy server
0 Likes
tomasz2013

thx for the sugguestions.  this is not a browser issue.  this is not a java script issue.  unless verizon made changes to my browser, even if that were so i wiped my pc afterword for other reasons when i still could not get geo location to work.  this issue is with fios router.  sometimes the guest account shows in router settings sometimes it doesnt.  also my wifi ip address 192.168.1.152 shows rome Italy as location.  i explained this to verizon for 7 days now.  they keep telling me they reset the ip address and it would be fixed.  turn off router and it would be fixed.  they reset the main ip address not the wifi.  goona reboot the router and try again.  verizon is of no help.  i use poker programs and also play in browser but the browser is not the issue.  the day i was installed it would not work.  requestion quantom modem, does not work.  at my wits end...

0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

I'm not an online poker player so I've no first hand experience about how their geo location systems work, but if it is looking for two different WiFi networks a "guest" network may not be usable.  It will have the same location as the primary network., which may not be enough for the system.  I am thinking they want you to point to a neighbor's network in addition to your own, that way there are two independent pieces of location information.

Note that you don't have to connect to a WiFi network.  Simply seeing it as an available network reveals information about it that can be used to locate the network and thus your computer.

Are you using the same WiFI networks for geo location as you did with Optimum?  If not, try using those networks.

Good Luck.

0 Likes
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1

@tomasz2013 wrote:

thx for the sugguestions.  this is not a browser issue.  this is not a java script issue.  unless verizon made changes to my browser, even if that were so i wiped my pc afterword for other reasons when i still could not get geo location to work.  this issue is with fios router.  sometimes the guest account shows in router settings sometimes it doesnt.  also my wifi ip address 192.168.1.152 shows rome Italy as location.  i explained this to verizon for 7 days now.  they keep telling me they reset the ip address and it would be fixed.  turn off router and it would be fixed.  they reset the main ip address not the wifi.  goona reboot the router and try again.  verizon is of no help.  i use poker programs and also play in browser but the browser is not the issue.  the day i was installed it would not work.  requestion quantom modem, does not work.  at my wits end...

The 192.168,1.152 is an IP address handed out by the router not a WAN IP address that geolocation would use. Are you getting the same IP address every time you shut off the computer?

0 Likes
tomasz2013

guset network worked fine with optimum, it has a seperate ip address.  unfortunately there are no other wifi signals that my pc see's.  with the optimum router i was able to create 4 different accounts     with verizon i could only create 2.  but now i notice even tho the guest account is available and i can connect to it on router settings the guest account does not show.  maybe thats the problem.  called verizon again last night, the problem is out of the scope of thier tech abilities, they gave me a # for premium tech which they said the first call would be free.  guess what it wasnt.

0 Likes
tomasz2013

main ip address changes, wifi address stays the same.  is there a way to assign a new wifi ip address???  cause verizon does not know.  they keep ressetting the main ip address even when i tell them thats not the issue.  thx for tryin to help.  

0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

A WAN (wide area network) IP address is the public, routable IP address.  FiOS users get one WAN IP address.  The router shares that IP address with the LAN (local area network) devices by using a private, none routable address space.  Private LAN IP addresses are never used outside of the LAN.  As TelcoGuru pointed out, 192.168.x.x address are private addresses.  No systems outside of the LAN know or care about these addresses.  Changing them will have no effect on anything outside the LAN.

With the FiOS quantum router, everything uses the single WAN IP address.  The router hands out private IP addresses to devices on the Ethernet, WiFi and Guest WiFi, but those are not visible outside of your home.

It's possible that Optimum assigned two WAN IP addresses to their customer's routers, one for the private LAN space and one for Guest WiFi.  Was your Guest WiFi something that you managed and controlled or was it was available to any Optimum user as a "hot spot" without your control?  If it was the later, chances are very good that it was using a completely separate WAN IP address.  If that's the case, that's probably why you could use it as a 2nd network for geo location.

The crux of the problem is the poker systems folks probably don't give out too much info about how geo location works in order to prevent people from trying to circumvent it.  My guess is they want to see two completely different WiFi networks and public WAN IP addresses.  You won't get that with a Verizon router and guest network.

This is really an issue with how the poker system is setup and is not a Verizon issue.  If you can find out what the poker system wants to see, that would help.

Good Luck.

Telcoguru
Master - Level 1

The router when set to DHCP hands out IP addresses in numerical order so to be using one that ends in .152 that means you have 151 devices connected or the computer you are using is set up with a static ip address. If that is the case you need to clear the static address from the computer and set it to automatically obtain an IP address.

0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Telcoguru wrote:

The router when set to DHCP hands out IP addresses in numerical order so to be using one that ends in .152 that means you have 151 devices connected or the computer you are using is set up with a static ip address.

The Quantum router doesn't strictly hand out sequential addresses the way the Actiontec does.  When I first got a Quantum router, many of my devices got different IP addresses starting at 151 and higher.  Some devices got the same address they had before, most likely because they asked for it in their DHCP request.

Anyway, I know from my experience that the Quantum router does assign IP addresses all over the map.  The OP has a Quantum router.

Finally, I doubt this issue has anything to do with LAN addresses.  I suspect the poker system wants to see two different WAN IPs and identify two different WiFI networks (SSIDS) to confirm the user is really in NJ.  I'm guessing that Optimum has hot spots enabled on their users' WiFi routers that are completely separate from their private network.  Thus, their equipment may be able to provide the two identification factors the poker system needs.  But since FiOS provides only one WAN IP and the guest WiFi is separate LAN space, not a completely different WAN link it isn't meeting the poker system's requirements.  If I'm right, the OP needs to find a way to get his PC to see a neighbors WiFi network in order to validate his location.  Not a FiOS problem, per se, but an interesting side affect of the way cable companies are deploying hot spots.

0 Likes