get very slow speeds on my ipad vs.laptop
gellopy

my fios speed is supposed to be50/50.  i get 10mbps fordl  and 8 mbps for ul on my ipad, even when it is next to router! Have called the repair line, they cannot fix.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: get very slow speeds on my ipad vs.laptop
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

What model iPad?

If it's an iPad 2, those have 1x1 802.11n radios in them. The most an iPad 2 will see is generally around 40Mbps up and down at the max. Anything extra is a bonus. Newer iPads have 802.11ac radios which can get a couple hundred megabits a second on a 5Ghz network.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
TomH121
Community Leader
Community Leader

Wireless Test 11/19/2017 12:12 pm EST

iPad2  iOS 9.3.5

My Plan 25/25 Mbps

Test to NY,NY

Down  38.19 Mbps

Up        24.57 Mbps

Speed Test run from My Verizon Residential Acct.

0 Likes
gellopy

You're lucky. I am not getting anywhere close.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

WiFi speeds are never going to be the full speed of a direct connection.

on my gigabyte speed I get something like 50% or less of that speed. 

There really is nothing verizon can do about it.

verizon lists up to speeds, not guaranteed speeds on a direct connection from your computer or laptop connected to the router.

they don’t guarantee any WiFi speed tests as fast or slow.

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

What model iPad?

If it's an iPad 2, those have 1x1 802.11n radios in them. The most an iPad 2 will see is generally around 40Mbps up and down at the max. Anything extra is a bonus. Newer iPads have 802.11ac radios which can get a couple hundred megabits a second on a 5Ghz network.

0 Likes
gellopy

Well, that may explain part of the problem then. It is  an iPad 2.  At an expected speed of 50/50 which even as wifi I get the same speeds on my laptop. However, on the ipad evne with the  ipad@ rigth next to the router the speeds run more like 20mbps upload and 13 mbps DOWNLOAD, the last time I checked. Thanks!

0 Likes
JustinG1
Community Leader
Community Leader

The 40 Mbps speed for the iPad 2 radio is the absolute theoretical speed you can get. This doesn't factor in real-world obstacles such as interference, congestion, etc on the heavily-used 2.4 GHz band. 

You didn't specify what laptop you have, but I'm assuming it has a wireless card that supports 5 GHz band, which generally has less interference than the older 2.4 GHz band, hence the better speeds.

0 Likes
Re: Get very slow speeds on my iPad 2 vs. laptop
gellopy

Thank you. My Laptop has a wireless card that supports 5GHz.

0 Likes
JustinG1
Community Leader
Community Leader

That should be correct!

Just to be certain, which router do you have from Verizon? I'm assuming the newer G1100, correct? Or is it one of these red Aciontec devices?

If you have the G1100, you're good to go, as it has the latest 5 GHz AC technology. 

0 Likes
gellopy

It is the G1100.

0 Likes