getting poor download speed
ggma11261
Contributor - Level 3
When I renewed my bundle a couple of weeks ago my bill went up 10 and I was pushed to the higher (i believe) 25/15 speed however ever since then every speed test I do come back with very good download speed 26 or better but horrible upload speed (6.5 to 6.8) I have the actiontec MI424WR Rev C - am running Win 7 professional (but also had the problem before I upgraded) and have tried verizon speed test and those on DSLR with no luck - anyone else see this problem and have any ideas what I could do to fix it
0 Likes
Re: getting poor download speed
joe_m
I had exactly the same problem: good download speed but terrible upload speed. I ran the FIOS speed optimizer tool and now up and down speeds are what they should be (25/15). I am running on Windows Vista Ultimate. Here's a link to the optimizer. It doesn't say whether or not it supports Windows 7. Maybe someone else who knows will chime in: http://www2.verizon.net/help/fios_settings/optimizer/
0 Likes
ggma11261
Contributor - Level 3

thanks will try that again later - I did it once but didn't seem to help much

0 Likes
VZ_Brett
Contributor - Level 2

ggma1126 , Let us know how you made out. If you would like me to look into it on our end I will. Just private message me your info. Good Luck Brett

0 Likes
Re: getting poor speed in every direction
DallasFios

Recently (10/30) upgraded from 10/2 to 15/5.  I've optimized PC and macbook.  My speed is variable, has been better than expected on some days.  Right now my download time ranges around 1.22Mbps and upload is a little over 2.0Mbps. Not really what I'd hoped for.

I was also hoping for new equipment that would extend my wireless range inside my home.  It barely makes is from my office to my family room and don't even think about accessing it upstairs.

I keep considering FiosTV instead of Directv but these kinds of issues make me very nervous about putting my eggs in the same tech support basket.

0 Likes
Re: getting poor speed in every direction
DrunkenMick

@DallasFios wrote:

Recently (10/30) upgraded from 10/2 to 15/5.  I've optimized PC and macbook.  My speed is variable, has been better than expected on some days.  Right now my download time ranges around 1.22Mbps and upload is a little over 2.0Mbps. Not really what I'd hoped for.

I was also hoping for new equipment that would extend my wireless range inside my home.  It barely makes is from my office to my family room and don't even think about accessing it upstairs.

I keep considering FiosTV instead of Directv but these kinds of issues make me very nervous about putting my eggs in the same tech support basket.

Are you running your connection wirelessly?  If so, it sounds as if you have either some distance or interference issues with your wireless connection.  Try hardwiring your laptop into your router. 

Remember, the fastest connection you can have depends on the slowest point.  In this case, your 802.11g connection is actually slower then your Fios connection.  If you're looking for raw speed wirelessly, i suggest buying a new 802.11n access point and upgrade (if needed) that 802.11 radios in your laptops.

0 Likes
ggma11261
Contributor - Level 3

Brett thanks I just tried a test from Visualware using the NYC Server and got 26.1 down / 23.5 up   but am going to test other servers also just to be sure thanks for all your help

0 Likes