Re: google / youtube slow over fios. definitely verizon's fault (research inside), please fix
houkou_onchi
Enthusiast - Level 3

@Thunker wrote:

"Just because the IP is owned by Verizon doesn't necesarily actually mean much that much; especially when its the IP before it hits google's network and doesn't for sure mean is VZ and not google."

This is just wrong. The IP is registered to verizon as a business class router.

It is their responsibilty and I as a customer of theirs cannot go anywhere on the Internet without passing through the overloaded piece of crap.

A network ahead....yea right!

Um.  Please show me where that IP is registerd as a 'verizon business class router.' Atleast provide some evidence with your claim like I did.

Re: google / youtube slow over fios. definitely verizon's fault (research inside), please fix
ttist25

This is definitely a Verizon issue.  I'm a network engineer and have clients all over the country.  I had a DSL user who was experiencing slow connection speeds and while I was troubleshooting, I had them pinging google.com with -t switch.  Thinking there was an intermittent connectivity issue because of the amount of packet loss and it took FOREVER for me to figure out that it was only google.com that had the dropped packets.  yahoo.com had steady replies as did any other domain I tried pinging.  

I thought perhaps it was a localized issue and Verizon just didn't give a hoot because of the small user base in the area.   Then I got FIOS at my home.  I noticed that, although my Internet speeds were really fast, certain pages took FOREVER to load.  When I looked at the status bar for those pages, the URL it was requesting was some kind of Google image server (I can't remember the exact URL but when I looked it up it was owned by google.  

So then I did some testing and hopped around the country from client to client via VPN tunnel connections and guess what - where the remote location was a provider other than Verizon, steady pings 0% packet loss to Google.  EVERYWHERE there was Verizon service DSL or otherwise, SERIOUS packet loss.  

Hmmmmmm?  

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out where the problem lies here.  Verizon - get your routers straight.  Where the heck are these packets going?  

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

have you guys done a google search for "packet loss to youtube"

Do you see how many different providers are talked about?

What's kinda funny is if you put the same search request in Bing! it gives you slightly more authoritative information about the reasons why, and that google and youtube acknowledged and were trying to fix etc.....    

just thought that was interesting

netmastr32
Enthusiast - Level 1

Sorry to tell you.

This is the DNS Verizon assigns to the IP address on the customers side of the link between Verizon and the customer router.

google-gw.customer.alter.net

That is why it has Customer in the name.

Here is another customer router off Verizon

limelight.customer.alter.net

Verizon managed devices have this as there DNS Name

IAD8.ALTER.NET  - All CAPS

The issue is on the Google Router.

Hubrisnxs
Legend

google's getting chincy.

0 Likes
weedeater1
Contributor - Level 3

IAD = Dulles, VA. Which is where Verizon Business (the old MCI/Worldcom) has its headquarters.

Someone needs to get on to Google about this.

Re: google / youtube slow over fios. Definitely verizon's fault (research inside), please fix
fake_usa

FIOS in NJ has issues streaming youtube. 

I can watch videos flawlessly via lightpath and comcast.

Same videos on FIOS are unwatchable. Constant buffering.

FOIS support said I would have to pay FIOS $89 to troubleshot my issue. LOL

0 Likes
Re: google / youtube slow over fios. Definitely verizon's fault (research inside), please fix
Namronorman
Contributor - Level 2

Chat rep also suggested I pay $89.99 for a solution. What is this, some sort of scheme to nickel and dime your customers? I just use a proxy through a VPS I rent and it works flawlessly. This whole ordeal has been an issue for me now for about a week.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

did you try the alternate dns trick that was posted? 

0 Likes
hahmed1983

Hey guys, 

Anyone found a fix yet. It appears this issue has been going on from 2011, I am also from northern virginia just 3 min away from Verizon HQ. The youtube issue is terrible. I can't watch even 240p videos and it buffers to death. I have freaking quantom 75/35 MB connection. I test the videos even on wired connection with no luck. Speedtest on wired give me 70MB and on wireless 60 MB. 

All other videos work fine such as netflix and other sources than youtube. 

I am seriously now thinking to disconnect FIOS as it make no sense to pay for having 75MB connection.

let me know if some one has find anything interesting,

Thanks

0 Likes