Re: having Youtube probs with Fios? I have an official VZ answer...
gbfraz
Enthusiast - Level 3
It is set to Reject
0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

does your rule page look identical to this when it's done? (walkthrough with screenshots in link)

Here's how the settings should look like:

Network Object

Note the object type.

Note that the IP blocks are destination addresses.

0 Likes
gbfraz
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks but it looks like your images were rejected.  Do you have a direct link to them?

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

they are in the top part of that same reply.  click and  double check the configs.   

Should be an outbound rule, etc they have the step by step there.

0 Likes
gbfraz
Enthusiast - Level 3

Then no they dont.  You said to use the numbers 

173.194.55.0 - 173.194.55.255
206.111.0.0 - 206.111.0.255

The screenshot on that page is showing

206.111.0.0 - 255.255.0.0
173.194.55.0 - 255.255.255.0

Is this a problem?  Which do I use?

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

use the ones in their thread, theirs is the most current, and so far the best working configuration.

When i published those, it was a new fix, and information was instantly rolling out for global providers, and to do it in the verizon actiontec is the key. They have the fix down pat from what it looks like, give it a whirl.

feel free to cross post in their thread to make sure you are doing it right if the configuration doesn't work right away.

0 Likes
JamesMowery
Enthusiast - Level 2

Tried the suggestions in the thread. Still not working. No reports in the security log of it blocking anything either.

I will say that I don't have separate connection types like most other screenshots show. I used to have only coax connections, but a tech came and split it between coax (for TV) and ethernet (for the router). So I'm not really sure which connection type to put this rule under. Any suggestions?

0 Likes
YouTube on FiOS - A DEBACLE
radiojack

How is it that I get 50/30 FiOS, only to find that I can't even stream a 360p YouTube video without it stalling? And how is it that I can connect the same computer to my Verizon Wireless 4G Mobile Hotspot and buffer an entire 1080p YouTube video in seconds, playing from start to finish without stalling? And why is that Verizon has 72 pages of listings (72 pages of LISTINGS FILLED WITH INDIVIDUAL POSTS, NOT 72 PAGES OF POSTS), for "Slow Youtube" complaints here on the forums, filled with useless and potentially harmful "tips" from users (e.g. blocking IP ranges, dissertations on how peering servers work, etc.) with no comments or assistance from anyone at Verizon? And why on earth am I paying for this garbage?

...BECAUSE I AM LOCKED INTO A TWO YEAR CONTRACT.

Obviously Verizon is happy to throttle YouTube speeds to the point that YouTube is completely useless. I'd like to be able to play videos in high definition, but forget that, it ain't happening. I'd be at least a little happy if I could stream at 360p, but even those won't load and play without stalling. Speedtest.net, etc. prove > 50/30 mbps connection speeds and everything else flies, but YOUTUBE BLOWS. 

Thanks Verizon. I'm counting the days until the contract is up. 

0 Likes
SteveSweetz
Enthusiast - Level 2

After having issues for months, around 2 weeks ago YouTube started streaming at mostly reasonable rates again without me doing anything (nowhere near my actual bandwidth capability, but at least enough to make 480p videos watchable in realtime). As of this week, it's worse than it's ever before.  Takes 2 minutes to buffer 1 second of video - this is not an exaggeration.

What is going on Verzion?

I'm not going to go all internet hyperbole and say I'm dropping FIOS (which is otherwise great) because I can't watch funny cat videos, but there needs to be some sort of official response for this problem.  If it's a problem on Google/YouTube's end then have your techs investigate and make a proper statement about it.  Silence is the worst form of customer service.

Oh and regarding the original post, I have a 3rd gen router, as does a friend of mine who just signed up for FIOS and is experiencing the same problem.  So the line that support rep was regurgitating is obviously off the mark.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

Interesting and seemingly related news...

• YouTube reaches 1 billion unique monthly users, almost 15% of planet Earth [thenextweb.com]

0 Likes