having issues with 2 xbox 360 slims connected with an Open NAT
Cmptgslha
I have 2 of the newer xboxes connected via an actiontec MI424-WR Rev. E and I'm having issues getting an Open NAT on either. 1 is connected via Ethernet and 1 is connected wirelessly. My router is also connected to my computer. I havetried portforwarding and using a dmz host on 1 resulting in 1 360 having an open NAT(wireless one) and the wired one having a moderate NAT. Anyway I could get them to work together without asking Verizon to send me a new router or buying a new one. Please help.
0 Likes
Re: having issues with 2 xbox 360 slims connected with an Open NAT
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Instead of Port Forwarding or DMZ to the two Xboxes, you will in fact want to enable UPnP found under the Advanced Options in the router. It's really the only way short of buying other IPs ($$$) just for the console. UPnP will take care of the port forwarding, when it's working for both consoles and should supply them with Open NAT.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend
0 Likes
Cmptgslha
Thanks for the replies. I have tried the above solution to no avail though. I am still getting a moderate NAT on xbox live and MW3. Here's all I tried:

1.Setting UPnP on. No dice. Even with 1 console connected=moderate NAT
2.Setting UPnP WITH DMZ. No dice. Same result.
3.Resetting to Factory Defaults on my router and THEN turning on UPnP. Same result.

Can anyone please help?
0 Likes
Cmptgslha
I find it ironically irritating that Xbox Live and Verizon have a partership to offer FIOS Tv through Xbox Live but seems to have issues together when it comes to multiplayer gaming...you know....kind of what the Xbox 360 was meant for. I don't know what to do at this point. Actiontec routers don't even show up on Xbox's supported routers list on the site. Anyway I could just buy another router and have a Verizon person set it up for me. This is just a huge PITA....
0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

I believe this will help you

http://forums.verizon.com/t5/FiOS-Internet/Unable-to-consistently-keep-XBOX-Live-party-with-multiple...

If not post 31 of in that thread, because you have FIOS TV - for example, then maybe post 27 of that thread.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Unless you get a rep who will set the router up for you, they'll simply say they cannot support it and to call up the router manufaturer to set it up. All Verizon will do is ensure you have some way to connect, whether it is via the ActionTec, or if they trust that you know what you're doing, via a 3rd party router.

Also, a router doesn't need to be compatible for things to work as they should with one or more Xboxes. Microsoft's list consists of those routers that are plug and play with the console (meaning, UPnP is also on most likely by default). For whatever reason the consoles insist on having all Open NAT to run games (probably because they don't use centralized servers, but other Xboxes for hosting, hence making you a server), whereas platforms such as the PC have no issues with running behind a strict NAT situation unless you wish to host a server, where simple port forwarding solves all.

Either way, ActionTecs (Hardware) are compatible. They, as outlined above (in the form of stock firmwarE) need a little bit of work to run the way you're looking to do it.

0 Likes
JayTee2
Enthusiast - Level 3

Did not see it in your post, so I'll ask:   Did you configure both Xboxes to automatically configure their network addresses?  In other words you did NOT manually configure/assign IP addresses for each, correct?  UPnP requires DHCP IP assignments and not fixed ones.

0 Likes
JerseyPlayer
Enthusiast - Level 3

I am having this issue also.  I think the UnPNP is broken on the ActionTec.  I may be getting rid of FiOS for this reason.  I had 3 Xboxes working from my DSL connection and LINKSYS router no trouble.  Very disappointed !   I was hoping to get a poll going so I posted my similar issue.

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

If your Linksys is new enough you can still use it as your primary router!

0 Likes