Re: hop in connection to game server from Tampa area in FL
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Inigo31 wrote:
There is nothing to fix. That particular router(or hop) is just not returning the ping reply. It is a security feature that is sometimes utilized.

There is something that has to be fixed - that is the interconnection between Verizon and Telia. It's nothing users/customers can really fix though. There is no reason, even with ICMP de-prioritization, that a route should be showing >100ms pings within the United States throughout a trace.

0 Likes
click4dylan
Contributor - Level 1

this is terrible. i can't even stay in the game server long enough to even do anything. it's dropping connection constantly and my ping spikes between 50-1000 and higher, and dropping packets nonstop.

0 Likes
drjones86
Enthusiast - Level 1

Are you aware of how to fix it? I'm about to write TeliaSonera an email to complain, but another person that i play with is having the same issues on the same router. He said that if it was more than 3 hops away, Verizon basically said it's not their problem.

0 Likes
Dantev

Yeah this is getting stupid. Ive had the same problem for the past few weeks and verizon says they cant do anything, even though people with different providers arent having this problem.

Tracing route to hcteams.com [72.20.56.226]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1    <1 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms  FIOS_Quantum_Gateway.fios-router.home [192.168.1
.1]
  2     6 ms     5 ms     4 ms  L100.TAMPFL-VFTTP-146.verizon-gni.net [173.65.12
.1]
  3    12 ms    11 ms    10 ms  G0-9-3-3.TAMPFL-LCR-22.verizon-gni.net [130.81.1
40.84]
  4     *        *        *     Request timed out.
  5    16 ms    15 ms    15 ms  0.ae10.GW1.MIA19.ALTER.NET [140.222.231.83]
  6   261 ms   258 ms   260 ms  teliasonera-gw.customer.alter.net [152.179.236.2
2]
  7   290 ms   297 ms   300 ms  ash-bb3-link.telia.net [62.115.141.74]
  8   300 ms   297 ms   301 ms  nyk-bb1-link.telia.net [62.115.138.24]
  9   298 ms   299 ms   298 ms  nyk-b5-link.telia.net [213.155.130.247]
 10   295 ms   294 ms   294 ms  pni-as1299-nyc1.staminus.net [69.197.1.78]
 11     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 12   319 ms   314 ms   315 ms  . [72.20.56.226]

Trace complete.

0 Likes
click4dylan
Contributor - Level 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c24ex7KYcPA

Here's a video of what this terrible hop is doing to online gaming

0 Likes
hjanderson2011

After 2 calls this week, and a tech over the web who actually RESET my machine because I wouldn't budge (you know....SIR, there IS a problem here! "no there isn't, maybe it's your computer, the game, blah blah blah..") they just sent me a new router. Yea, because I'm sure THAT is the problem.

So when I get the new router tomorrow, verizon's MAGIC FIX, I expect my problems to stop.

...and when they don't, I'll be on the phone again, trying to chew my way up the chain to talk to the person who will hear what I have to say as I cancel my service.

DO YOU HEAR US, VERIZON?

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

No Verizon doesn't hear you as this is peer to peer.

There doesn't appear to be anything wrong in the Tampa area, however it looks like there is something wrong with teliasonera-gw.customer.alter.net  which is a Verizon server.  The big increase in response time occurs between it and another alter.net server and then remains bad to the end of the trace.

hjanderson2011

So if this is "peer to peer," yet one of the "peers" they are sending our data through is a Verizon server...and that hop is the cause of the problem.....what is the endgame here? Does VZ just throw up their hands and say "not our problem!" ?

Is the problem likely to get fixed? Because if it isn't, I can't afford to pay for internet I can't use. Netflix cutting in and out, and pings circa 1993 with a double phone modem.

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

The forums are peer to peer.  Only a few Verizon admins are regulars here. And they have very limited capabilities to help you other to occassionally escalte a already open problem.  Even then this is not likely to be of those types.  All the verizon admins have a verizon tag attached.  the CL attached to mine and a few others is not because we work for Verizon.  Myself I'm a retired systems programmer from another industry entirely.

0 Likes
click4dylan
Contributor - Level 1

Routing is still terrible, 350-450ms. It seems to be getting worse to different destinations every day

0 Likes