how come my ip address doesn't change anymore?
skyliner34
Contributor - Level 2

Before i updated the verizon firmware i could change my ip address by just leaving the router off but now it won't change my router has been off for more then 12 hour and my ip address hasn't change? So is it because i updated the firmware? If so is there any link where i can downgrade the firmware of the router?

Re: how come my ip address doesn't change anymore?
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

Whether your public address changes is a function of how Verizon's system allocates the addresses and if anyone else in your area is adding/renewing their address in about the same timeframe.   In general, typical operation will have your IP address remain the same if at all possible -- although Verizon reserves the right to change it any time.

0 Likes
skyliner34
Contributor - Level 2

But why all of a sudden when i change firmware it doesn't change anymore? i mean come on 14 hours is enough to change atleast 1 ip i think the firmware makes it not change not anymore.

Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

@skyliner34 wrote:

i think the firmware makes it not change not anymore.

Keeping the same IP address is a mostly function of VZ's DHCP server.

When a client (your router) requests a DHCP address from VZ's DHCP server, it can request the same IP address as before, except that after you power cycle the router, the router has no knowledge of it's previous IP address.  However, VZ's DHCP remembers your MAC address and reissues the same IP address based on having seen that MAC address before.

To get around it:

• Release your WAN DHCP address
  • Change your WAN MAC address (coax or ethernet as appropriate).
  • Obtain a new DHCP lease.

You should now have a new WAN IP address.

0 Likes
skyliner34
Contributor - Level 2

can you tell me how to change the mac address?

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

May I ask, why do you want to change your IP address? The router's firmware does not control when the IP address is changed. I certainly hope, though that this IP change isn't for trying to evade Forum or chat bans.

0 Likes
skyliner34
Contributor - Level 2

i like to change my ip every monthly if you don't mind.

0 Likes
JustaGuy
Contributor - Level 2

@Smith6612 wrote:

May I ask, why do you want to change your IP address? The router's firmware does not control when the IP address is changed. I certainly hope, though that this IP change isn't for trying to evade Forum or chat bans.

Seems like a good question, and I would also like to hear the answer.  Pehaps its only me, but I can't think of a single ligitimate reason for changing a fully functional IP.

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Nothing wrong with wanting it to change every month just for the heck of it. I honestly don't see the point, but that may just be me. I'm actually the kind of person who likes holding IP addresses for ages. Yeah, I run a Dynamic DNS client in my router (DD-WRT) to keep my IP tied in with a domain, but honestly, when my connection drops or when something breaks PPPoE sessions for 20 or so seconds, nothing is more annoying than having your IP change and having to reconnect to every single thing you had running. If my IP would remain constant, when those things happen I wouldn't care as much. It'd make it easier on me as well, keeping track of SSH logins (in case I have to destroy a key and regenerate one). Rather than having a hundred different IPs in a single year, if I have one or two IPs in a year then all the better.

0 Likes
skyliner34
Contributor - Level 2

the reason i like to change my ip monthly is because incase hackers know my ip address then i can just change it every month so it won't be that easy to guess