how do you connect from the coax outlet to ethernet cable then to pc?
David21211
Enthusiast - Level 1

First of all, my house is old and was build probably around the 80's so there are coax outlets everywhere. My family don't use tv service and only use Fios 100/100 to do everything around the house. and how the internet is connected in the house is like this: 

there are 3 stairs: basement, 1st floor, 2nd floor

-all the coax outlets have two holes( I'm guessing one is for tv and one is for internet?)

-In the basement, one coax cable that is connected to outside my house leads to some verizon modem(?) that I don't really know what it does 

-In 1st floor, there is the actual wifi router(Actiontec  MI424WR) that is connected to the coax outlet in the wall

-In 2nd floor, there are coax outlets in every room but we don't use any and have to rely on the wifi downstairs.

And becuase of this, when I play games with my pc in 2nd floor relying on wifi, it tends to lag and have fps drop down. So, I wanted to wire my computer to internet, and I wanted to connect to my pc from the coax outlet to the ethernet port that I have. 

Now, I know that all of you will tell me to get MOCA  ethernet to coax adapters, but I heard that it requires buying two of those, which is around $150. So me being a high school senior can't really support that. 

So, what I'm asking is, is there a cheaper alternative to the adapters, or is there a way to buy another Actiontec MI424WR(around $20) and use it kind of as a bridge like (Coax cable-the router- ethernet-PC) in my room in 2nd floor without disrupting the wifi router in 1st floor? I wanted to hear your thoughts, please help me!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: how do you connect from the coax outlet to ethernet cable then to pc?
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

In your case since you are using a Verizon router you will only need one MoCA adapter. You only need two if you are using a non Verizon router. 

You can buy another MI424WR but there will be some configuration required. You will have to login and change the default IP of 192.168.1.1 and you will have to disable the DHCP server. 

Verizon also offers a wired only FNA which is a non wireless MoCA adapter for about $50. 

View solution in original post

jonjones1
Legend

First i would say since your not using tv to simply hook an ethernet to the ONT that verizon provided. Then i would take a hub with 5 or more ethernet connections. You can then run cat6 ethernet to the various rooms you want service. Then you can do a direct connection to your devices. Cost is minimum few bucks for the ethernet cable, about $25 for the hub at various computer stores. A few hours running it either through the walls or along the floor boards.

or a simple way is to have verizon switch you to ethernet connection and run the cat6 to the rooms you want internet and plug into one of the 4 LAN connections. On the router.

You can still use the wifi. In a three story house the router should be on the second floor located in the middle area. So a simple router move can achieve your goal. Cost a few bucks to add coaxial to existing coaxial to place router in new location in home.

they make extenders for existing ethernet as well. Very cheap. A store like best buy can show you what you need.

David21211
Enthusiast - Level 1

Other memebers in my family are fine with wifi, but I just want my pc to connect with ethernet just in my room. Also, this house has been a rent for five years and I don’t want something permanent and would rather have a easy fix that doesn’t require oo much fixes to the house since I don’t know when we’re moving. So, does that mean that I can’t have two routers in the house or is this just not possible without the suggestions you made? And also, can you give me more explanation about the ethernet extenders?

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

In your case since you are using a Verizon router you will only need one MoCA adapter. You only need two if you are using a non Verizon router. 

You can buy another MI424WR but there will be some configuration required. You will have to login and change the default IP of 192.168.1.1 and you will have to disable the DHCP server. 

Verizon also offers a wired only FNA which is a non wireless MoCA adapter for about $50. 

jonjones1
Legend

@David2121 wrote:

Other memebers in my family are fine with wifi, but I just want my pc to connect with ethernet just in my room. Also, this house has been a rent for five years and I don’t want something permanent and would rather have a easy fix that doesn’t require oo much fixes to the house since I don’t know when we’re moving. So, does that mean that I can’t have two routers in the house or is this just not possible without the suggestions you made? And also, can you give me more explanation about the ethernet extenders?

The other replyer gave you a good answer. You can have multiple routers in the home but must change the configuration from 192.168.1 to 192.168.2.1 for the other device.

running a 5 port switch with ethernet runing along the baseboard to the other locations is a simple and cheap fix. Best buy or any computer store has ethernet couplers. They sometimes come in a box or by single purchase. It simply connects the two male ends to make the ethernet longer. 

In example 

https://www.outletpc.com/cables-ethernet-cables-rj45-couplers.html