how is FIOS connected to multiple Ethernet outlets in my apartment?
Rivoli

All the RJ-45 outlets in my apartment seem to be "live" after FIOS was installed. How is that done? I don't have any equipment in my apartment besides the WiFi router. And I haven't tried plugging another wired device into another outlet yet, just moving the router from outlet to outlet. Is there likely to be an Ethernet switch involved, and would it be shared by more than one apartment in the building? (There's a telco/wiring closet on my floor but I haven't seen what's inside yet.)

0 Likes
Re: how is FIOS connected to multiple Ethernet outlets in my apartment?
TomH121
Community Leader
Community Leader

Hope this helps answer your questions

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Y_IKGF59qo

0 Likes
Rivoli

LOL not at all. I'm trying to find out how Ethernet is provided to the multiple RJ-45 jacks in the apartment.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@Rivoli wrote:

LOL not at all. I'm trying to find out how Ethernet is provided to the multiple RJ-45 jacks in the apartment.

It has to be via a splitter or splitter/switch combo.

its not much else it can be.

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you have multiple rj45 jack in your apartment they probably go back to a panel inside your apartment. Does your router have anything plugged into the lan ports?

Connect to your router and go to the website whatsmyip and take note then plug into you rj45 jacks and repeat to see if the IP address has changed. 

But like the previous posted said your router would have be either connected to a switch or the lan ports on your router. 

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Ask your landlord/mgmt company

they should be able to tell you.

0 Likes