how set configure a static IP address correctly on Actiontec MI 424WR rev F??
three_jeeps
Enthusiast - Level 3

I just got a new Verizon/Actiontec replacement router and I want to configure 4 or 5 static IP addresses beginning at 192.168.1.201  and above.

At this point, I have changed the DHCP range from 192.168.1.2 - 192.168.1.250, to  192.168.1.2 - 192.168.1.200, so that is now the DHCP pool.  That presumably leaves anything above 192.168.1.200 open for static IP assignments.

a) So now  how do I create a Static IP reservation for a device? (what router screens should I use? do the device(s) that I want a static IP have to be connected?, etc.)

b) Once I have the static IP address reserved/configured, how can I make the appropriate port forward rule(s) for the devices?  Specifically, I want to allow SSH connections to each of the static IP addresses/devices.

(I tried this once but the router complained after I made the first port forwarding rule saying that it was already in use!?!? and I want to avoid this problem again)
Thanks

-J

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: how set configure a static IP address correctly on Actiontec MI 424WR rev F??
Hubrisnxs
Legend
Re: how set configure a static IP address correctly on Actiontec MI 424WR rev F??
jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2

I just got a new Verizon/Actiontec replacement router and I want to configure 4 or 5 static IP addresses beginning at 192.168.1.201  and above.

At this point, I have changed the DHCP range from 192.168.1.2 - 192.168.1.250, to  192.168.1.2 - 192.168.1.200, so that is now the DHCP pool.  That presumably leaves anything above 192.168.1.200 open for static IP assignments.

a) So now  how do I create a Static IP reservation for a device? (what router screens should I use? do the device(s) that I want a static IP have to be connected?, etc.)

You really don't need to change the DHCP range unless you have that many devices.  The Actiontec router starts giving out IP addresses at .2 and goes up from there.  But since you made the change ok.

Next you simply give your device the 192.168.1.201 addressess.  There is no need to configure anything on the router.  

b) Once I have the static IP address reserved/configured, how can I make the appropriate port forward rule(s) for the devices?  Specifically, I want to allow SSH connections to each of the static IP addresses/devices.

If you go under port forwarding from the top choose speficy IP and put in 192.168.1.201 and then choose custom port TCP 22 

0 Likes
weedeater1
Contributor - Level 3

I don't remember offhand, but if you have FIOS TV boxes they use addresses up there somewhere.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

they use the .100 range, so stay away from assigning any lan device a .100 address   stay in the 200's or >100's

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend
three_jeeps
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thank you!  DSL reports stuff is always very clear and thorough.  Worked fine...I appreciate it.

Now if Actiontec/Verizon would just learn how do a really intuitive UI......they should look at DD-WRT as an example..lol

J

0 Likes