i enabled remote access to my router and now i can't connect to it.
nachumama

Yesterday 5/27/2015 i enabled remote access to my fios router. I have the external ip to my router. I used a vpn that is installed in my laptop to test it out. and it worked from the outside.  I could get to the router admin page. I did all this while at home.

Now i'm at work, using the same vpn and when i type in the router ip address, it says not available. i called my wife and she said the the router is on.  What could be wrong?

why will it i have access to the admin page using a vpn and then come to work use the same vpn, type the ip and now it doesn't work? do i have to put a :port_number at the end of the external ip? is so i'm screwed because i forgot the port number. please help.

thanks

rs

0 Likes
Re: i enabled remote access to my router and now i can't connect to it.
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

The normal port is 80 if you are trying to get to web management.  When you enabled it which of the seven choices did you enable that will tell you which one but I don't think you'd need to enter it anyway.

More the question would be why you would you want to enable remote admin access to your router?

If the point is to be able to access something on your internal network it would be far safer to set up a port forwarding rule for something like RDP to a device within the network listening on an obscure port.

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

I actually looked at the remote access screen on my verizon router to answer the above.  Am now somewhat intrigued that I could actually access the Verizon router admin screen from this desktop machine which is not on the same subnet as the vz router.
I have a netgear router as the gateway router connected to the ONT via ethernet.  It has a lan port connected to the wan port of the vz router for tv services.  The netgear router also has a lan port connected to the wan port of a dlink router and my desktop machine is connected the dlink router subnet.

In the browser of the desktop machine I put in the ip address of the wan port of the vz router on the netgear router subnet and was presented with the router login screen.  I have checked remote admin and it is not enabled so am mystified as to why it allowing me access to the router. Also checked port forwarding and there is no port forwarding rule set up for port 80.

Can anybody explain why the access is allowed?

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

@viafax999 wrote:

I actually looked at the remote access screen on my verizon router to answer the above.  Am now somewhat intrigued that I could actually access the Verizon router admin screen from this desktop machine which is not on the same subnet as the vz router.
I have a netgear router as the gateway router connected to the ONT via ethernet.  It has a lan port connected to the wan port of the vz router for tv services.  The netgear router also has a lan port connected to the wan port of a dlink router and my desktop machine is connected the dlink router subnet.

In the browser of the desktop machine I put in the ip address of the wan port of the vz router on the netgear router subnet and was presented with the router login screen.  I have checked remote admin and it is not enabled so am mystified as to why it allowing me access to the router. Also checked port forwarding and there is no port forwarding rule set up for port 80.

Can anybody explain why the access is allowed?

#1 Let me give to you an example what happens with my router running tomato firmware.

With loop back in my router set to Off if I am behind my router and if I enter in my public IP: I can't connect to anything. 😞

With loop back in my router set to All, if I am behind my router and if I enter in my public IP I can connect to the router's UI as if remote control of the router is turned on.

With loop back in my router set to Forward Only, if I am behind my router, if I enter in my public IP and I have a web server running on port 80: I am able to connect to my web server on port 80.

With loop back in my router set to Forward Only, if I am behind my router, if I enter in my public IP and I do not have a web server running on port 80: I can't connect to anything.

--

#2 Based upon the above info, in your router has loopback support it is set to All.

#3 I also have to say that:

a) Not all routers will allow users to adjust the loop back feature.

b) OR if they let the user adjust the loop back feature, they can only turn it off and on.

Does that help you any OR did I misunderstood you?

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

What is loopback and where is it configured on an Actiontec rev I router?

What surprised me was that I could get to the admin screen via the wan port.  That would kind of indicate that if the wan port was connected to the verizon network then anybody would be able to get to the admin screen by entering the vz external address for my home network thus negating the remote admin switch completely.

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

@viafax999 wrote:

What is loopback

#1 Loopback is also known as Reverse NAT.

#2 With that in mind, I point you to http://www.pcwintech.com/test-for-reverse-nat and quote part of it.

Reverse NAT is a phenomenon that you use your public/internet IP address to connect to yourself.
When you usually want to connect to your own network, from your own network, lets say you have a webserver hosted on your local PC and
you also maintain it from the same machine, you usually use your local IP right ? Yes, but lets say that you have a bit more complicated setup and
your server uses several databases to store data on or the other example: you have security video cameras set up that you want to watch remotely but maintain locally.
In such cases you cannot always go and use one IP for all connections by default.
There are situations when you need to setup some connection to handle different IP-s and in some cases this setup is crucial if you want other people
from outside your LAN to get access to your server. Now lets say you have everything set up, ports forwarded, accounts created and everything seems ready-to-go.
It works fine until you try to make a connection yourself, from your local machine, to your own server and you fail, although it works for everyone else. Sound weird doesn't it?
Well this can occur exactly when connections are made to your server using your internet IP. That means you try to connect to yourself using your public IP. = reverse nat. It's just like putting your internet IP to your internet browser address bar and trying to connect.

For some of us it works fine, for others, it can't resolve host. So why is that?
The answer is that those who can connect to themselves using their public IP, have routers that support reverse NAT.
But there are plenty of routers that don't. And that's when you run into a problem.
That's when you need to redirect your connection to your lan IP or upgrade your hardware.

@viafax999 wrote:

Where is it configured on an Actiontec rev I router?

I do not know. I hope someone else will.

@viafax999 wrote:

What surprised me was that I could get to the admin screen via the wan port....

If that is the loopback feature of the router (as I am not confused as to what is going on) that is fine/normal. Otherwise, I agree with you.

0 Likes