i purchased 35/35 but I get 11/2; does this really work or did i get ripped off?
mrmoser
0 Likes
Re: i purchased 35/35 but I get 11/2; does this really work or did i get ripped off?
CapnCrunch
Contributor - Level 2

Where did you test your connection?  Try http://my.verizon.com/micro/speedtest/broadband/

or www.speedtest.net

Also, if you are connecting over wireless you will have some speed loss vs. connection directly to the modem via an ethernet cable.

0 Likes
Re: i purchased 35/35 but I get 11/2; does this really work or did i get ripped off?
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

Did you use the verizon optimizer?

0 Likes
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

I agee with the other posts here so far ... make sure you run the optimizer and do the speed tests against Verizon's server and serveral different speedtest.net servers (some of these servers are capped at 10/2 type rates and give skewed results).

I have a 35/35 internet connection and usually get my allocated bandwidth and then some depending on which server I test against.    Right now looks like I'm getting any average of 42 down, 32 up.

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

Been out of country for a few days.  Have 25/25 and after the upgrade or whatever VZ did about 6 weeks ago was consistently getting 30/25.  After reading this post earlier I tried checking today and am now getting 30/2..  I'll check again later and if it's still the same then complain.

0 Likes
jtravapd

How do you have your router set up? do you have a bridge router set up also? 

You can try doing a hard reset on your verizon router, if that doesn't work call tech support and they will reset your connection to the central station.  Having verizon reset your connection worked for my friend who had the same problem you did.  Its worth a shot.

0 Likes
DallasTX
Enthusiast - Level 1

Using DSL Reports speed test I got 11m/6m with an LA server.  With a local Dallas server I got 43m/34.5m.  I also purchased 35/35.

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

Please will the origional poster please stand up and let us know if things have improved or if your issue is resolved.

Once the connection leaves the Verizon network Verizon has no control of the bandwidth. If you try the Verizon speed test you will also find a slow down between the East and West coasts tests, or test outside your local region. I might to a trace route to see if the speed test stays on the Verizon backbone from East to West, but I do not think it does. I do not think you will find any provider that keeps all their traffic on their network from one coast to the other.

Well no matter which region I test with the Verizon speed test URL stays the same no matter what. The scripting must be masking the redirect and true server location.

http://my.verizon.com/micro/speedtest/broadband/#

Verizon speed test East to West. I am in the East.

running 10s outbound test (client to server) . . . . . 6.92Mb/s
running 10s inbound test (server to client) . . . . . . 17.37Mb/s

Verizon Speedtest North East with 35/35 connection.

running 10s outbound test (client to server) . . . . . 35.47Mb/s
running 10s inbound test (server to client) . . . . . . 42.91Mb/s

http://my.verizon.com/micro/speedtest/broadband/

We are getting what we pay for. Now if you go to another speed test, all bets are off. It depends on network congestion and the load on the test server. Some servers are better than others.

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

You see a lot of speed variation to the different Verizon servers. My experience is not quite the same, here are some results I just got a few minutes ago (I am in the Central Region and have 25/15 service):

Verizon Speed Tests - 8/29/2010 at about 12:30 pm CDT

Northeast Region

running 10s outbound test (client to server) . . . . . 20.68Mb/s
running 10s inbound test (server to client) . . . . . . 29.18Mb/s

Southeast Region

running 10s outbound test (client to server) . . . . . 22.09Mb/s
running 10s inbound test (server to client) . . . . . . 30.00Mb/s

West Region

running 10s outbound test (client to server) . . . . . 19.70Mb/s
running 10s inbound test (server to client) . . . . . . 29.13Mb/s

Central Region

running 10s outbound test (client to server) . . . . . 24.46Mb/s
running 10s inbound test (server to client) . . . . . . 30.63Mb/s

Keller, TX 76248

prisaz
Legend

Justin

I guess being in the middle helps. Thanks for your results. From what I recall TX is GPON. That probably makes the difference. I do not think all the COs are GPON. These are the details of my Maryland to the NE server. I would like to know what your test shows here. I wonder if it is the same. Regardless I believe we are getting what we pay for. It used to say the slowest link in the end to end connection is 10 Mbps. But now it does not, since the extra speed was added, and now says T3/DS3.

"45 Mbps T3/DS3 link found.
Link set to Full Duplex mode"

Broadband Speed Test

Analysis information:

Checking for Middleboxes . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Done
SendBufferSize set to [522720]
running 10s outbound test (client to server) . . . . . 34.20Mb/s
running 10s inbound test (server to client) . . . . . . 42.91Mb/s

------ Client System Details ------
OS data: Name = Windows Vista, Architecture = x86, Version = 6.0
Java data: Vendor = Sun Microsystems Inc., Version = 1.6.0_21

------ Web100 Detailed Analysis ------
Client Receive Window detected at 164076 bytes.
45 Mbps T3/DS3 link found.
Link set to Full Duplex mode

No network congestion discovered.
Good network cable(s) found
Normal duplex operation found.

Web100 reports the Round trip time = 19.56 msec; the Packet size = 1452 Bytes; and
No packet loss - but packets arrived out-of-order 0.01% of the time
This connection is receiver limited 2.61% of the time.
This connection is sender limited 96.89% of the time.

Web100 reports TCP negotiated the optional Performance Settings to:
RFC 2018 Selective Acknowledgment: ON
RFC 896 Nagle Algorithm: ON
RFC 3168 Explicit Congestion Notification: OFF
RFC 1323 Time Stamping: OFF
RFC 1323 Window Scaling: ON
Information: Network Middlebox is modifying MSS variable
Server IP addresses are preserved End-to-End
Information: Network Address Translation (NAT) box is modifying the Client's IP address
Server says [x.x.x.x] but Client says [x.x.x.x]