i want to upgrade to window 10
gantran
Enthusiast - Level 1

i want to upgrade to window 10 they say that i may get isp internet charge what that mean do you guys know.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: i want to upgrade to window 10
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Welcome to the forums.  You're talking to other customers here.

Windows 10 will be a 3Gbyte download.  Some ISPs, especially wireless ones, have data caps or other terms that may cause charges when it's downloaded.  FiOS does not have any data caps or charges.  You'll be able to download Win 10 without any fees over FiOS when it becomes available.  A Win 10 download is no different than any other download. 

Microsoft is just covering their legal bases as they've no control or insight into what ISPs people use to download Win 10.

Enjoy.

View solution in original post

gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Welcome to the forums.  You're talking to other customers here.

Windows 10 will be a 3Gbyte download.  Some ISPs, especially wireless ones, have data caps or other terms that may cause charges when it's downloaded.  FiOS does not have any data caps or charges.  You'll be able to download Win 10 without any fees over FiOS when it becomes available.  A Win 10 download is no different than any other download. 

Microsoft is just covering their legal bases as they've no control or insight into what ISPs people use to download Win 10.

Enjoy.

gantran
Enthusiast - Level 1

thank you so much.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Word of advice, since the update will likely run during the overnight hours. If you're on Windows 8 or Windows 8.1, make sure you tell Windows 8.1 that your Internet connection is a metered Internet connection if you're using a "Pay per Gigabyte" connection like a mobile data connection. This will help postpone the update from downloading automatically until the computer is on a real Internet connection, like FiOS, or public Wi-Fi.

0 Likes
LarryH75093
Enthusiast - Level 1

Am buying a built-to-order Windows 10 computer.  How to retain Verizon homepage and email?  I've seen the "Compatibility Pack" Verizon offers-- but that applies to downloaded Windows 7 to Windows 10 UPGRADES.

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@LarryH75093 wrote:

Am buying a built-to-order Windows 10 computer.  How to retain Verizon homepage and email?  I've seen the "Compatibility Pack" Verizon offers-- but that applies to downloaded Windows 7 to Windows 10 UPGRADES.

Follow the link below to get a free copy of PCmover from Laplink.  It's provided for free thru a cooperation between Microsoft and Laplink to facilitate data and file moving onto windows 10 machines where Microsfoft in their wisdom decided to to no longer suport windoes easy file transfer.

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=620915

LarryH75093
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thanks, very much.  This should help me (actually the new cptr builders at MicroCenter).

I wanted to accomplish the same things claimed for the "Compatibility Pack" (Synacor) offered by Verizon, for those who DOWNLOAD the Windows 7 to Win.10 UPGRADE.

But of course, not good for me, as my Windows 10 will be part of a built-to-order new computer

0 Likes
LarryH75093
Enthusiast - Level 1

2nd reply to "AllStar"-viafax999--

Bottom line intent is to keep my Verizon home page & email-- retaining them as my ISP.

0 Likes