iPad FIOS cost
hanoch

Hi, all --

Someone gave me an iPad 2, which I suppose is a very nice gift, but before I open the box and rush in, I would like to know what it will cost me to run. Is there an additional monthly charge for using an iPad with my existing FIOS home network? The version I was given has Wi-Fi only (no 3G): will I be able to connect to Verizon remotely when I am on the road, or will there be an additional monthly charge to my FiOS account? And how do I connect the thing while I am on the road?

Can't get a straight answer from Verizon customer support, so I am hoping one of you can help!

Thanks,

Craig

0 Likes
Re: iPad FIOS cost
prisaz
Legend

If it does not have wireless 3G or 4G like from a cell provider, there would be no cost.

Connecting it to your Verizon router wirelessly would be no different than your laptop if you had one. I have an iPhone 4 and when at home it uses the router WiFi, and when away it uses 3G. So at home it does not count towards my allotment.

On the road you would not have service unless your could find a WiFi hot spot for free or pay. Some hotels offered a pay service, but most offer it for free now.

Verizon does offer Wifi in some locations, but it is not like cellular service and is spotty from my experience.

0 Likes
hanoch

Thanks for sorting this out for me!

0 Likes
weedeater1
Contributor - Level 3

You will use the WiFi connection at home.  It will cost you nothing.

Any place else and you'll need to find a hotspot. Verizon has a list of their hotspots and their locations.  I don't think there are all that many, in my opinion. Public libraries are usually free, at least around here they are. Some places like bookstores and coffee shops may have free public WiFi, else they may charge.

0 Likes
heywardjr
Enthusiast - Level 2

You suppose the iPad2 is a nice gift....uh...? The iPad2 is nearly $1000 gift. Anyone getting that kind of gift should be quite appreciative! 

Why would you think it would cost anything to run? It's just like a laptop...just the cost of electricity to run it. 

You stated it is wi-fi only so why would you think it would be any different than a PC?

Then you called Verizon to ask this kind of question?

You know it is is wi-fi only so are you not aware that wifi is only where wi-fi would be free to access or you have to create your own wi-fi using a hotspot or cellphone?

0 Likes