iPad wifi connection help
MSM6
Enthusiast - Level 1

I just spent 15 minutes holding and 20 or more minutes on the phone speaking to incompetent tech help people two days in a row. They asked the same questions and went through the same useless steps trying to get my iPad's wifi to work. Nothing worked and neither tech even remotely understood that it was a Verizon problem not an iPad problem (connected fine to 3 outside networks). Finally I just hung up and reset my router to factory specs. Miracle! that worked! Needless to say that I am totally underwhelmed by Verizon's tech help.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: iPad wifi connection help
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

Sorry to hear about your frustrating experience and glad to hear you're up and running.

However, let me suggest that you look at your router's settings now and make sure that you have WPA2 enabled, rather than the default WEP.

WEP is virtually the same as no encryption at all these days, and running your wifi network in WEP leaves you open to hackers.

0 Likes
MSM6
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thanks for your input but WPA2 worked (barely) with my MB air, the connection was iffy. It did NOT however work with my iPad 2 and THREE Verizon techs could not fix it. So, until someone comes up with a solution for that I will stay with factory settings. 

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

@MSM wrote:

Thanks for your input but WPA2 worked (barely) with my MB air, the connection was iffy. It did NOT however work with my iPad 2 and THREE Verizon techs could not fix it. So, until someone comes up with a solution for that I will stay with factory settings. 

Is the software up to date on the iPad and the MacBook Air? Mavericks is free along with iOS 7, but it is worth noting some older versions of Mac OS and iOS have had stability issues with Wi-FI in general. I haven't seen any come along for quite some time.

0 Likes
MSM6
Enthusiast - Level 1

Woukd be a nice solution if both did not have the lates versions of Mavericks ans iOS. Anyway the neighborhood has at least 500 yds between residences and none of my neighbors networks shoe on my scan.

0 Likes
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

@MSM wrote:

Maybe it would be worthwhile bringing your iPad to the genius bar to see if an Apple tech might have a clue what the problem is.

For whatever it is or isn't worth, I have an Actiontec Rev I router set to WPA2.  All our devices connect with no problem, including an iPad2, MacBook Pro with Mavericks, an iPhone 5 and a 5s and a couple of Windows 7 machines.  Frequent guests' devices also connect with no problem.

0 Likes